Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok a older guy i work with drive a 03 gt. He said about a year and a half ago it got hot on him so he pulled over let it cool down then came the rest of the way to work. Thinking it was a frozen thermostat or maybe to much water not enough coolant he drove home. Once again it over heated so sat for a bit then continued on. About 600 yards from home he said it had pegged the hot side on the gauge so he go into it a little so he could shut it off and coast the rest of the way home, when he did he said it sounded like a diesel. The next day he said it smoked when he started the car, my first thought was head gasket. But he said the pressure release was bad on the overflow tank so he bought a new one and put some blue devil in the coolant. I guess its guaranteed to fix headgaskets or what not. He said since then he has never had a problem except ocasionally when he starts the car it will smoke a little just at initial start up. My question is could this be a bad intake manifold gasket? Any and all help is much appreciated. Said it currently runs good but he wants to add a blower so doesnt want to through it on if it has a blown headgasket if its a intake manifold gasket its going to be changed this weekend

thanks guys

·
Registered
336 Posts
if its a intake manifold gasket i wouldnt think you would get smoke at start ups and it prob would run alittle rough.idk im sure someone else that knows more will chime in

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
I'm thinking head as well.

the blue devil stuff doesn't fix a bad gasket it's merely a band aid.

I would get a compression test done

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not loosing coolant and car passes compression... if it happened to be the intake manifold gasket couldnt it leak coolant past the valves and into the head?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my ? is has anyone heard of someone blowin a headgasket na... from the look of both the gaskets i would expect the intake gasket to give out first but wierder things have happened

·
Registered
575 Posts
the blue devil is a band aid but works very well. I used once for a blown head gasket and drove the truck for 3 years after. still running fine when I sold it. I would not add a supercharger without fixing it right though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts