Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing the interweb for Mustang stuff and came across something I think is a bit of a rip-off... Magnaflow 16578 Magnaflow 2010 Mustang GT/GT500 4.6L/5.4L Axle-Back Muffler Delete System, DUAL SPLIT REAR EXIT - 16578

I love how the good folks at LMP point out how much their $419.35 price tag undercuts the MSRP of $493.35 as set by Magnaflow. Is it just me or are these people trying to price gouge the hell out of dudes who just bought 2010 GTs and are looking to buy an exhaust? How do they even come up with these prices? $419.35 just seems like a very weird amount to charge for anything. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't sell any fewer (if they actually sell any at all) if the price was set at an even $420.

Sorry for the rant, but this **** pisses me off, and I feel sorry for the guy just getting into the Mustang game who buys one of these kits and then comes on a site like this and sees he just paid out the ass for something he could have had made at the muffler shop down the block for $120 and a 12-pack. :wtf

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Nope, thats about the price for axle backs.... even the 05-09 axle backs are high priced like that

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and you'll understand. There are just some people, that even if they could fix something with a gum wrapper, would rather pay the $50 for the official "Brand X metallic/paper insert".

·
Registered
295 Posts
The Reverend speaks the truth. People like to pay for brand names and hype.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Pypes muffler deletes

I honestly think that the price is still a rip off but if you want pre-formed muffler deletes the pypes ones at brenspeed are the best deal.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
I have been hearing people say for three years that they could build things for 100 bucks and a 12 pack. I still have yet to see anyone do it.

Tell you what, if you can mandrel bend stainless steel pipes and have flawless polished tips and churn them out so that they fit perfectly with the hangers etc. Look me up. Give them to me for 200, ill move them for you at lets call it $290 a pop and you will make 100% profit on each set with no sales overhead. And they have to have engraved tips. Make up a company name 12 pack racing or soemthing. But you have to add a warranty ETC.

I agree for muffler deletes its a lot espeicially when you could get mufflers for that price. But it is what it is.

·
Safud: MM's Resident Hadji
5,242 Posts
I have been hearing people say for three years that they could build things for 100 bucks and a 12 pack. I still have yet to see anyone do it.

Tell you what, if you can mandrel bend stainless steel pipes and have flawless polished tips and churn them out so that they fit perfectly with the hangers etc. Look me up. Give them to me for 200, ill move them for you at lets call it $290 a pop and you will make 100% profit on each set with no sales overhead. And they have to have engraved tips. Make up a company name 12 pack racing or soemthing. But you have to add a warranty ETC.

I agree for muffler deletes its a lot espeicially when you could get mufflers for that price. But it is what it is.

I payed $200 for a full custom exhaust setup (i only provided the mufflers i want). Don't know if there is a big difference between the S197's and New Edges that would make it different :dunno

·
Registered
295 Posts

dont get me wrong, I dont even know how to weld so I know I couldnt do it. I was just agreeing that they are way more than they should be. If when the 05's came out everybody refused to pay more than $100 for deletes then by now you would find companies making $100 deletes and still making plenty of profit off of them. As it stands people bought them no matter the price.

To the original question by the OP - Yes, the price is justified by having people that are willing to pay it.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
I payed $200 for a full custom exhaust setup (i only provided the mufflers i want). Don't know if there is a big difference between the S197's and New Edges that would make it different :dunno
I dont know what a full custom exhuast setup means.

Im not arguing. More or less i'm saying when the person who thinks they can do this so cheaply decides to do it. let me know, ill sell it. I think when you start crunching all the numbers you might find out that its a little more expensive then you thought.

Is yours stainless steel and mandrel bent?

Does this shop that did it for you have the ability to make them on demand?

Does this shop have the room to stock their items.

Will this shop replace for free any set that a customer thinks is scratched, not shiny enough, didnt bolt up easy enough ETC.

There is a difference in a shop bending something for you and a company manufacturing, stocking, marketing a product ECT.

You said it yourself, it cost 200 just to build. There are a lot more cost associated with that if you wanted to sell it, market it, store it, warranty it, count it, collect it, pay taxes on it, pay the secretary that answers the phones health insurance, pay the phone bill, pay the lawyers. And lets not forget andretti on their website, they probably paid him a million bucks.

I do agree that set up is expensive. But magnaflow is pricey anyway.

Hell dont forget if you really want to move mustang parts you gotta sponsor mustang racers and shops, give them free parts and deep discounts on pricing so they can retail the stuff, blah blah blah.

·
Registered
295 Posts

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Its a rip off either way. Its those tips.

Look at kooks axle backs. Its basically a 14 inch long 4 inch diameter resonator that they sell for 70 a peice, so 140. But in axle back form 650. I guess they figure welding the tips on it with the kooks logo, puttin the hangers on it, and putting the pipe that bolts up to the over the axle pipes are worth 500 bucks? dont know. But i know i wasnt going through the hassle of finding a shop to weld on tips hangers and the back pipe and then hope it fit right. When all was said and done how much would i have saved?

**** deletes anyway they sound like **** on our car.

·
Registered
295 Posts
**** deletes anyway they sound like **** on our car.
agreed!! Its almost as bad as hearing a new edge v6 with a single flowmaster.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can totally understand paying that much for new mufflers, but paying that much to get rid of your mufflers seems really dumb.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts