Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pmas blow through Maf calibrated for 42 lb injectors and 42 lb injectors ik the answers is probably no but I'm by 100% so any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
That's not enough info on the car. What the car already tuned for the blower and then you just swapped the MAF out or what?

In most cases, if the car starts, you can limp to the dyno shop as long as you keep off the throttle

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Come on Guys the blower intercooler fuel pump and everything is going on this weekend or should I wait to drive it the 30 miles until I get my sct and tell bama to make me a tune for the supercharger even though I'm gunna get rid of it right when I get to my tuner

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry the car is a 02 mustang gt with a Paxton novi 2000 running a 3.6 pulley pmas maf sensor and 42 lb injectors calibrated for eachother and a svt focus fuel pump I'm thinking the car should start I don't see why it would

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
Dude.. go spend $100 on a AAA membership, wait the week and tell them your car broke down and have it towed there for free. That way you can catch 4 more free tows within 150mile radius for free for the year.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
my tuner told me it was fine to run with the 43# injectors on the stock tune as long as the MAF was calibrated accordingly. once i heard that i fired it up, and drove it to my tuner no problems. you just have to BABY it and dont even think about getting into boost. here's the first start up of mine without any tune in it. sorry for my dumb comments, i was caught up in the moment.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Get a handheld programmer and have your tuner email you a file to get the car moving or have bama put a tune on the SCT if you're getting it from them. I had a base tune emailed to me and drove the car 120 miles to the tuner without a problem. I wouldn't drive the car with bigger injectors and maf if it isn't tuned for it.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
if his MAF is set to 42# he shouldn't need a tune to baby it there.
+1. If it drives fine at part throttle it will be fine. If its jerking all over, spitting black smoke, stalling, then get a base tune, or tow it. If the maf is really calibrated, it should be just fine, but I've had issues with cal'd mafs. Some work great, others suck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hm well I'll give it a shot try turning it over and see how she runs ... Has anyone used bama tunes from am ? I'm just gunna tell them what I have done and to right a rich tune my tuner is just goof to erase it and write new ones

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
There are no tune changes needed to run a "calibrated" MAF, and the same size injectors for which it was calibrated. It does mess up the PCM's load calculations though--read more here...

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I've had issues with cal'd mafs. Some work great, others suck.
This is so true. MAF's that are calibrated for injectors can be BS. Let's say you have them calibrated for 42# injectors, ask them WHAT 42# injectors they were. There's a huge difference between brand a and brand b.

Either way, it seems like you've got good info from everyone here. The MAF calibration isn't going to keep it from starting. The part throttle timing should be similar enough where it's fine. All the way around, the car really should be that far off. There will be no driveability/idle quality, but that SHOULD be dialed in if you chose a good dyno tuner. You'll be fine. As mentioned above, if it starts, runs fairly normal from what you can tell - have at it. Drive to the dyno shop. Just make sure that you drive like it's your drivers exam or like there's a cop following you. If you hit boost, AFR could be WAY off and timing is definitely going to be way too high, since the timing isn't scaled properly or dialed in for the blower.

Chris

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
This is so true. MAF's that are calibrated for injectors can be BS. Let's say you have them calibrated for 42# injectors, ask them WHAT 42# injectors they were. There's a huge difference between brand a and brand b.<snip>

Chris
That is all true, however it's not just differing models of injectors, "calibrated" MAFs are calibrated to a specific injector AND a specific tune--usually a stock tune--and very rarely do they come with documentation of the MAFs real transfer function.

I will link this again because it's very important to understand.

Recently I have been flooded with tuning problems evolving from use of "calibrated" MAFs,

My advice to everyone is Do NOT buy a "calibrated" MAF, just buy a MAF that can support your anticipated HP without pegging, and make damned sure it comes with well-documented a 30-point transfer function.

There is absolutely no need for a "calibrated" MAF in the modern world, and to be quite blunt those that sell them should include a tube of Vaseline of K-Y Jelly so as to make the customer's experience a bit less painful.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
That is all true, however it's not just differing models of injectors, "calibrated" MAFs are calibrated to a specific injector AND a specific tune--usually a stock tune--and very rarely do they come with documentation of the MAFs real transfer function.

I will link this again because it's very important to understand.

Recently I have been flooded with tuning problems evolving from use of "calibrated" MAFs,

My advice to everyone is Do NOT buy a "calibrated" MAF, just buy a MAF that can support your anticipated HP without pegging, and make damned sure it comes with well-documented a 30-point transfer function.

There is absolutely no need for a "calibrated" MAF in the modern world, and to be quite blunt those that sell them should include a tube of Vaseline of K-Y Jelly so as to make the customer's experience a bit less painful.
+1 When I have a customer that says he has a "calibrated" maf, I warn him that it might work, and it might need to be replaced with a proper maf. I seem to see about a 30% failure on those things. (I won't sell them either)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts