Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 2000 mustang GT with the paxton novi 2000 and intercooler. Everything is pretty much stock except borla exhaust. I was considering selling my car for a 03/04 Cobra in the near future. I was just gonna go ahead and find a cobra someone has done work to and is in the 650-700 HP range. Now all im wondering is can I just keep my car and get 650-700 HP out of my 2v SOHC.. If so would I have to upgrade to much stuff to where I coulda just bought a 25,000 dollar 700 hp cobra instead. I already have the S/C and intercooler to make some power. So just kinda wondering how much more money would need to be put in my car to get it in a 650 hp type level. ball park figures. thanks

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
Built bottom end. Ported heads and cans and fuel system for that power And a built trans like a tko 600. And built rear end. I just did it all but to be honest man just get the cobra. It'll be cheaper and worth more And you get other perks with the cobra

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
At a minimum you're going to need a forged bottom end, upgraded fuel system, and h/c/i. I'm not sure how much power the Novi 2000's put out, but you may also need to upgrade your head unit to push the cfm required to hit that hp level.

Also, keep in mind that once you get to that power level your drivetrain is going to be in a world of hurt if you don't address it. Factor into your costs a built transmission and rear end (if you don't already have one).

To take advantage of that power, you're also going to need some suspension work or all you'll do is sit and spin all day.

I wouldn't be surprised to see you spend somewhere between $10,000 and $15,000 (or more) on the whole deal depending on how much work you do yourself and whether you buy new or used parts.

·
Wiser by the Minute
1,498 Posts
I would just build ( forge ) the bottom end into a 5.0 and get a good set of heads & a turbo cam.

Sell the supercharger and get an On3 or ponydown turbo kit.

Get the correct fuel set up --

Get a trans that can handel that -- $2K

Rebuild rear end for that power

IMO you will have less cash in it than the cobra for sure & YOu will have a bad ass turbo setup which not as many have.

hahahahaahaaaaaa

I say about $15K to do it right and that is on the high end probably

·
Registered
11,185 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
says 980 hp and 27 maximum boost.

·
Wiser by the Minute
1,498 Posts
I would still go Turbo -

For that power you will need a Cog setup probably.

You could sell your system and almost buy a turbo set up.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
really the best route almost sounds like just selling my car for about 8,000... and coughing up the 17,000 to go towards a 25,000 dollar Cobra that's already beefed up big time. Im not one of these people who knows alot about working on cars. So when people say "its better when u build it urself".. that isn't always true for someone like myself. lol I rather just buy one thats already ready to go with a **** load of power.. all it needs is a driver.

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
If you have the means to just cough up 17grand to make up the difference then go for it. but built blocks that can handle 750hp starts at $2400 or so and you already have the blower but it boils down to your goals and if in the longrun its just a cobra you want instead of continuing to build on the gt. Good luck with either route you choose.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
the chart im about to send you shows the limits on different head units take a look scroll down and you should see the novi 2000 on there somewhere. SuperchargersOnline.com :: Supercharger Unit Comparison!
The theoretical maximum horsepower and the actual max horsepower are two hugely different things. That chart lists the P1SC at a maximum hp of 825. There's no way you will ever coax that much out of a P1SC. Most top out just north of 500 hp.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
There is a cobra here for sale fully built with twins,iforged wheels,car is completely built from front to back,still a 6 speed with only 22k miles he wants 20k for it..and on race gas car makes about 1100 to the tires pump its 715..

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
The theoretical maximum horsepower and the actual max horsepower are two hugely different things. That chart lists the P1SC at a maximum hp of 825. There's no way you will ever coax that much out of a P1SC. Most top out just north of 500 hp.
Then they should be sued or they open themselves up for being sued for false advertisement. That would be kinda risky /stupid on their part ya think? I wouldnt go as far as to say those diff blowers cant make those numbers but if the did they would be more than maxed, slipping and puttin out alot of heat. so would 650hp be out of the question with the novi2000?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Their are 2vs make 600+ with a novi 2000...guy on modularfords made 700+ with race gas and alky injec.

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
Even if you don't do it yourself, if you build this car up for that power, you can do it in pieces, meaning you can take as long as you need to get the money together and then buy the thing outright. It's always better to just pay for stuff rather than have to pay interest on a car loan for years and years and never get to modify it when you inevitably get bored.

Plus, doing it with the car you have means you can build it to your exact specifications, not take over someone else's project. Who knows what people skimp on? You'll know what the weaknesses in YOUR build are. Unless power goals are into the 1000's there's no pressing need to go 4v, imo. Work with what you've got.

On a side note, I'd rather have the solid axle than the Cobra IRS...

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
theres a reason experianced car people don't buy heavily modded cars & thats because your guaranteed to be buying someone elses head ache.

lets just say though for the sake of argument that your the 1 that gets the good deal on a soild well built 700 hp cobra (your kidding yourself if you think your getting that car for 25,000 though), what will you do to maintain it when you don't know for shure whats done to it?

lastly, why the need anyway? have you ever even driven a car with that much power?

its not the most awsome orgasmic experiance that guys on the internet lead you to believe if your driving it on the street.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I currently have 2000 mustang GT with the paxton novi 2000 and intercooler. Everything is pretty much stock except borla exhaust. I was considering selling my car for a 03/04 Cobra in the near future. I was just gonna go ahead and find a cobra someone has done work to and is in the 650-700 HP range. Now all im wondering is can I just keep my car and get 650-700 HP out of my 2v SOHC.. If so would I have to upgrade to much stuff to where I coulda just bought a 25,000 dollar 700 hp cobra instead. I already have the S/C and intercooler to make some power. So just kinda wondering how much more money would need to be put in my car to get it in a 650 hp type level. ball park figures. thanks
That is :gay

Not really, but imo, buying a built car like that is just lazy. And really you have no "bragging" rights. Just to go out and buy a built car making 700+rwhp.

You already have a nice platform on you car. Novi 2k (flows as much as a D1 procharger) with an intercooler. A built bottom end, cams, ported heads, meth inj, supporting fuel mods with some good boost would put you at a good number.

And Im sure you would be a lot more proud of your car. A built 2V imo is better then a built Cobra. because a lot of work went into it, and its respectable. A cobra is easy to make power on. Not in a bad way, but its not like its uncommon seeing cobras make 600+rwhp.

And like Casper said, buying heavily modded cars, was someones headache. Wouldnt be worth it.

If you were to buy a "stock'ish" 03/04 Cobra and mod it that in my opinion is a lot better of an idea.

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
its not the most awsome orgasmic experiance that guys on the internet lead you to believe if your driving it on the street.
I'm sure the first time you step on it, it certainly is. However, I agree with everything you said. Taking over someone else's (failed/ incomplete) project is a terrible idea (see: Vietnam War). Buy a stock Termi and work from there or start buying parts for that bitchin' little 2v.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
I'm sure the first time you step on it, it certainly is. However, I agree with everything you said. Taking over someone else's (failed/ incomplete) project is a terrible idea (see: Vietnam War). Buy a stock Termi and work from there or start buying parts for that bitchin' little 2v.
:yes:yes:yes

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
i just did both of the things you wanted to do. i bought my gt in 06 bone stock for 10g's with 50k miles on it. i slowly built it i never went into debt except what i owned. i payed the car off in 08 where the money for the mods really came in. i dropped over 20k in the car in about a year and the car was fun as hell to drive. alot of people dont see the headache of building a high hp car and the up keep it takes. alot of my money was lost in setup changes due to fuel upgrades and swaping from draw threw non ic to blow threw intercooled. drive train and suspention does add up so that is where i lost alot of money as well. in jan i got an opertunity to buy a 03 cobra which was bone stock for 9k (11000 out the door) with 86000 miles. car was in great running order and i originaly was going to turn around and sell it for a profit. my tuner told me to keep it and sell my gt so i took his advice and sold my car for a huge hit of 10.5k which was just about enough to pay off the cobra. now for the parts list to make a mid 600-700 hp cobra that you can run at the track.

1300 spec 3+ clutch, flywheel, and 26 spline input shaft
325 for 60# injecters
225 sct ba 3000
25 for a air filter
325 lfp sbtb
3400 whipple 2.9L
130 for 100mm idler pulley
30 for a 77.4 inch belt
250 for a bap
340 for ford gt pumps
125 modified fpdm
35 for intake manifold gaskets
100 flsfc

i swaped out for a sra but the cheap way is to keep the irs and re-bush it and put a diff support on

full tilt bush kit is about 450 for every thing
diff cover is about 140

plus 100 for odds and ends

total= 7300

but that is a track ready car from front to back.
for me my gt was loosing value and a built car is hard to sell. cobra's are much easier sale and they hold value a little better

now ill try and add this up for you lets say your car is payed off and you sell it cheap for 9g's and you over pay for a cobra for 17 out the door. that means you owe 8g's which is a few cheap bolt ons away from making more power than your gt. or 15300 away from the setup i just explained. that is probably about breaking even for what you need to get your car to go the same times at the track, but you have a cobra

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
Get a built block and build what you have if you want a head to toe track tool then it will dig deep into your pocket but thats if you want a mainly ran track tool vs a car to play with on the streets. You already have the car and a capable blower. Start with a built block and blower cams and go from there try not to do it all at once and do it for the love/joy of it not to say "yea i got 550rwhp" to impress the guys/gals at the local car spot ya feel me. continue fron where you are at instead of starting all over. Stal found a once in a lifetime deal his next move should be playing scratch off or some sort of lottery to continue that streak.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts