Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 02 gt. engine blew today. found a 99 4.6 police interceptor for $400. comes with tranny. will it work? need to know asap b4 it gets sold.can anyone help? thanks adam

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Yes, its the same engine

·
Registered
869 Posts
I thought the crown vic didnt get the pi engine till 01...correct me if im wrong

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 PM ----------

Thats according to Wikipedia at least...but anyways if its a pi engine its a pretty straight forward swap..I just put a 01 interceptor engine in a 00 gt on monday....I had to buy a 6 bolt flywheel though. ..

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Yea but you will need a 8 bolt flywheel or flexplate for the 99 motor as they have 8 bolt cranks. Your 02 has a 6 bolt. Other than that should swap right over.

·
MM elder
9,751 Posts
I thought the crown vic didnt get the pi engine till 01...correct me if im wrong

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 PM ----------

Thats according to Wikipedia at least...but anyways if its a pi engine its a pretty straight forward swap..I just put a 01 interceptor engine in a 00 gt on monday....I had to buy a 6 bolt flywheel though. ..
exactly, panther cars (ie. crown victoria, gran marquis, town car) didn't get pi motors untill '01

the swap to a non pi motor isn't worth it, keep looking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's been said, but DON'T GET IT, you need a 2001+ Crown Vic motor. If you put in a non-PI, your power will go down (not to mention not even sure how you'd wire it up).

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Damn I spaced that... Figured 99 was pi good catch guys!

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
exactly, panther cars (ie. crown victoria, gran marquis, town car) didn't get pi motors untill '01

the swap to a non pi motor isn't worth it, keep looking.
You could always PI swap it and make even more power. :yes

It's been said, but DON'T GET IT, you need a 2001+ Crown Vic motor. If you put in a non-PI, your power will go down (not to mention not even sure how you'd wire it up).
It will still wire up easy, you just need to run the COPs from your original engine.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
i have a 02 gt. engine blew today. found a 99 4.6 police interceptor for $400. comes with tranny. will it work? need to know asap b4 it gets sold.can anyone help? thanks adam
NPI motors are sloooowwww, hold out for a PI motor or PI swap that one.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
if your heads are good, I would get the interceptor engine swap your heads and make even more power.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Thanks. I'm confused tho lol. So it will or will not work?
It will work however-

Since it's a 99 it's an NPI engine, so you will have less power than you have now.

If you find an 01+ Crown Vic engine, it will be a PI and make the same power as you have now.

If you swap your current PI heads and intake over to the 99 NPI engine, you'll actually make MORE power than you have now due to better flowing heads/intake and a higher compression ratio.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks guys.. im getting a engine from a 03 gt tomorrow. $750.... any thing i can do to my car to get a little more oomph out of it. lol

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

cheap lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts