Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 gt has 121k on it. previous owner was a close friends brother. He had the car for 6 years and traveled alot on the highway. Ive taken the car to the track and it ran stock suspension and stock air box at the 1/8 9.009! the only mod the car has is a upr x pipe because one of the cats broke. He also told me the heads have been resurfaced and all the gaskets have been changed.

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
257 Posts
yes it will handle it just fine. Your max internals can handle 450hp max but you probably will be at around 380-400 with a vortech kit. 121k is not a huge amount of miles i would put one on mine and i am at 128k

·
Carport Built
871 Posts
Yes sir should be fine as long as the car is mechanically sound. Plenty of boosted guys with higher miles here. They will chime in.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
yes it will handle it just fine. Your max internals can handle 450hp max but you probably will be at around 380-400 with a vortech kit. 121k is not a huge amount of miles i would put one on mine and i am at 128k
This is not true...every car is different and its all about the tune. My stock longblock has handled 14.7psi several times and 16.3 once too. His numbers also depend on what blower he choices to run and how much psi...I hope to see 420rwhp with an auto at 10psi this Spring. Thats around or more than 450rwhp with a manual.

Not trying to single you out just saying :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome. My kit is partically complete. only thing im scared of is my stock clutch and punching my pan =/ the guy told me he changed the clutch but he just put a factory replacement. will that hold for a lil while? so i can save for a stage 3.....

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is not true...every car is different and its all about the tune. My stock longblock has handled 14.7psi several times and 16.3 once too. His numbers also depend on what blower he choices to run and how much psi...I hope to see 420rwhp with an auto at 10psi this Spring. Thats around or more than 450rwhp with a manual.

I got a v2 s trim. not sure what pulley i have on it tho.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
nice...might wanna find that out lol

·
Registered
257 Posts

That may be true. I'm not running a s/c so i am no pro by any means. I've heard its all in the tune many times, but i tend to disagree with it. You could be pushing 600hp and say your engine is lasting because its all in the tune, but your internals can only handle so much right? Everything has a limit

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
There is a problem with just throwing out numbers. It causes people to blow up their motors.

It is true a good tune helps but there are limits. Supporting mods help also. OP, most of the tuners I've talked to say to keep a daily driver around 380 rwhp. I've been running at 9 psi which is around 380-385 rwhp for 5 years and 90,000 miles. My 2000 GT's motor is stock with a few bolt-ons. It has 170,000 miles on it. The consensus on this forum is to not go above 400 rwhp on boost alone. Some do and get away with it. Some don't. I specifically remember four that didn't. Two blew up around 413 rwhp running 13 psi and two blew up around 430 rwhp running 14 psi. A lot of people are safely running 430-450 rwhp but they have cams which make the motor more efficient.

I was once told to not go over 8 psi non-intercooled and 10 psi intercooled. Several members have stretched that to 10 psi non-intercooled and 11-12 psi intercooled. When pushing it that hard things like Meth injection help to keep the inlet air tempatures down and add octane to the mix. Just remember, the harder you push it the less margin of safety you have. Also, the more miles you drive the more conservative you should be. You'll never know when you get that "bad" tank of gas.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
i feel like putting the smallest one i got. The guy gave me 3 pulleys!
how can i measure them to know which one i got?
I pretty much think that a good way to blow up your motor. You're going to be pushing the motor 50-60% over its design limit. You need to know what you are putting on it.

You measure the diameter of the pulley from where the belt rides. Don't include the shoulders. The pulley you should run depends which head unit and intercooler you are running.

·
Carport Built
871 Posts
Eagle is who I was hoping would chime in, he knows what he's talking about, go with his recommendation.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I pretty much think that a good way to blow up your motor. You're going to be pushing the motor 50-60% over its design limit. You need to know what you are putting on it.

You measure the diameter of the pulley from where the belt rides. Don't include the shoulders. The pulley you should run depends which head unit and intercooler you are running.
im running nonintercooled for a while and i have a s trim v2. ill measure it when i get home. i just want 380-400 rwhp. no more than that. how long do you think my factory clutch can handle? it has about 18k on it. i plan to change it for a spec stage 3 and a matching flywheel.

Eagle is who I was hoping would chime in, he knows what he's talking about, go with his recommendation.
will do man. I want my car to last! thanks!

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
im running nonintercooled for a while and i have a s trim v2. ill measure it when i get home. i just want 380-400 rwhp. no more than that. how long do you think my factory clutch can handle? it has about 18k on it. i plan to change it for a spec stage 3 and a matching flywheel.
I'm running a ProCharger and their pulley sizes are different than Vortech's. Hopefully, one of the Vortech drivers will chime in. I believe that you will want to run a 3.33" pulley. Unless you are running slicks and launching at 5,000 rpms your stock clutch should be fine. Mine was still good at the 150,000 mile mark when I put in a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch. Regardless, a Spec 3 clutch is going to be overkill. After you add the power you need to be careful of the weakest point in your drive train. Unless you've upgraded to 31 spline axles your rearend is the next weakest point. Then its the input shaft on your transmission. I've been told that you want to have the clutch slip before shearing parts in the rearend and transmission.

·
MM's V6 Hater
13,422 Posts
I've got a v2 t trim with a 3.33. And making 8psi
I have a ram power grip and holding 460 just fine. Spec 3 is over kill

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Yes your car can definately handle the boost if she has been maintained. You do realize you have a windsor block and heads which also has an 8 bolt crank VS the 6 that somes with the romeo motors.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Awesome. My kit is partically complete. only thing im scared of is my stock clutch and punching my pan =/ the guy told me he changed the clutch but he just put a factory replacement. will that hold for a lil while? so i can save for a stage 3.....
Don't be scared of it, my best friends Paxton 3 valve makes 510rwhp on 93 octane and 12psi on stock clutch, worst case you put a clutch in it, a lot has to do with how you drive too

1 - 20 of 35 Posts