Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Tuning Junkie
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have my car timed according to a manual I bought. Id like to show what I have and please let me know if I have done this correct. This is my first modular engine cam swap and I want to try and be sure before I button it up.

I have # 1 at TDC where it blew my towel out of the spark plug hole. I then installed Fords special crankshaft holding tool # 525-219. With the crank holding tool installed, I then installed the left chain gear mark to link mark on both ends. Then I installed the right, gear mark to link mark on both ends. I have not tried to rotate everything yet. My manual says this is correctly timed now but I wanna be double sure.

My marked links on my chain are black and hard to find so that is why I used the nail polish for visual aid. I laid both chains out to ensure the marked links were correct and at the ends of the chains.

I can probably upload a video if it will help but I think the experts at Modular Mustangs Forums can tell by my photos.

If I missed anything you could possibly think of please let me know.

Thanks everyone in advance ! I appreciate all of your help. Thanks.

Attachments

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
I'm not sure that's quite right. Check this diagram:

It looks like your crank sprocket is in the right position more or less, but can you see where the dot is on it? With the keyway in that rough position, it should be at roughly 6 o'clock. Then the marked links should match that dot, and you can keep the ones on the cam gears matched as they are.

I also have to admit I feel like an idiot, because I never knew you could use that tool on that pin to hold the crank in place.

·
Tuning Junkie
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure that's quite right. Check this diagram:

It looks like your crank sprocket is in the right position more or less, but can you see where the dot is on it? With the keyway in that rough position, it should be at roughly 6 o'clock. Then the marked links should match that dot, and you can keep the ones on the cam gears matched as they are.

I also have to admit I feel like an idiot, because I never knew you could use that tool on that pin to hold the crank in place.
This is what the mark looks like with that crank tool removed. Looks like Im at 6 o clock.

Attachments

·
Tuning Junkie
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My crank sprocket is a one piece sprocket with the timing marks marked differently for driver and passenger sides

·
Tuning Junkie
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
should i get the 2 piece crank gears...

Well that's a new one to me. I hadn't seen any like that. What brand is it?

That said, it still doesn't seem right. The passenger bank looks like it should, but the driver's side looks way off, and that's even just eyeballing it from the general orientation.
its an older block, 97? and im not sure if the gear is a ford part or not. would it help me to pick up the individual gears? Somebody did, at some point, make a PI swap on the older block.

Should the driver side match the passenger side ? I can probably make that adjustment myself. Would you turn the drivers side into position leaving the crankshaft locked ? also if i turn the drivers mark to 6 o clock my camshaft mark looks like the passenger side does now but of course changes the passenger mark.

Its probably the crank sprocket for a non-PI engine, do you think thats my problem ?

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
It doesn't look OEM. The Ford ones have a dot stamped in them, not a slash. That said, I've never seen one where it has different alignment marks for each gear. Even with the two piece ones with separate markings, the links both align to the same spot at the 6 o'clock position.

I would set the driver's bank to align the link at the bottom, same spot as the passenger side, and keep the other link aligned to the dot on the cam gear. Then rotate the whole engine by hand slowly. For the most part you can rotate it by hand and find out if there's interference without worrying about bending valves. Unless of course you're really forcing it.

·
Tuning Junkie
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It doesn't look OEM. The Ford ones have a dot stamped in them, not a slash. That said, I've never seen one where it has different alignment marks for each gear. Even with the two piece ones with separate markings, the links both align to the same spot at the 6 o'clock position.

I would set the driver's bank to align the link at the bottom, same spot as the passenger side, and keep the other link aligned to the dot on the cam gear. Then rotate the whole engine by hand slowly. For the most part you can rotate it by hand and find out if there's interference without worrying about bending valves. Unless of course you're really forcing it.
on my first try i had some interference, it sounded like #7 , im going to re-do all of it tomorrow and try it your way with both crank marked links matching at that 6 oclock position. Im also going to try and call ford and see what the story is with that frankenstein crank gear ? I may have been a tooth off on that first try. If I can't make it work next try im going to find a set of the correct gears.

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
your out of time the drivers bank is retarder big time both red dots should be at the 6 oclock position on the crank and one of them is not.

Put both red chains on the crank at 6 then adjust the cams gears to match up to the opposite end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts