Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally got the specs of my cam! can any of you give me a good estimate of how much rwhp and rwtq im making with the mods i've got??? here they are

rebuilt 302 bored .30
Hypertectic KB pistons, 10.2:1 compression
trick flow cam, specs: lift .449 intake, .510 exhaust. duration @ .050 lift is 221 int. 225 exh. (advertised duration 285 and 292)
crank ground .10 (pretty sure this doesn't make a diff but posting just in case)
Holley 650 DP
edelbrock intake performer 302
shorty hooker headers
powerfire distributor
polished heads
underdrive pulleys

thanks!

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Stock heads? Are the heads portmatched to the intake? What is total advance? A/f ratio at wot? Id estimate 235 rwhp through a 5 spd.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Stock heads? Are the heads portmatched to the intake? What is total advance? A/f ratio at wot? Id estimate 235 rwhp through a 5 spd.
What he said ^^^

It honestly depends though... Depends on your engine and the dyno. I've seen a guy with full bolt ons (exhaust, cold air, MAF, throttle body, pullies and an e cam) make 250 to the wheels. Just depends.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, stock heads. they arent port matched, as far as i know. Im still thinking about getting those GT40's though. not sure about the advance either. id ask the guy but i have a feeling he's tired of me bothering him about the car, which i dont blame him.... what do think about torque though? i know it ruined the stock t5 a few times, got rebuilt 2 times, which i found out the stock t5 is rated at 300ft/lbs. that being said, how much torque you think im pushing???

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Has absoluteely nothing to do with trashing a T5, not synchronizing left foot and right hand, coupled with clutch airgap, has everything to do with it. Fwiw I went 10.6 on a T5 and never broke a gear. It was a 2.95 first gear trans rated at 350 torque I believe, and I know I was putting down more than that with a windsor on spray.
To answer your question, I have no idea. Carbs dont make much torque because of the short runner manifold.

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been thinking alot about gt40s and was wondering what kind of rwhpower to expect out of them with the set up i currently have. Also, how much more hp could i get if i had the trickflow twisted wedge heads everybody talks about, over gt40s? and no im not getting all wrapped up in hp tqr numbers, just want to have an idea of what to expect if i am to get either of the heads.(this is why im leaning towards gt40s, i dont need monster power, especially since im not made of money lol) Its just a DD and maybe race friends once in awhile car, so i dont need 300+ rwhp, although i wouldnt mind it lol

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
GT40 heads are good for at least 30+ horse. Toss those stockers in the scrap bin. Surprising that someone would go to the trouble to rebuild it and leave the stock heads.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Getting off topic and this is not directed to you 93Mustang5.0. But. I wonder why so many people seem to have ported stock heads. I wonder how many are actually ported compared to the amount of people that think they have ported heads because the previous owner said they were because the previous owner before that said they were. Why would someone spend the time and money to do that work and them put in a letter cam? This is not the 80's when people were experimenting with a limited aftermarket. There are better choices for performance and price out there. I guess if you have them laying around and you do the work yourself it can be worth it. Every time I see a Mustang for sale with ported polichsed stock heads and a letter cam, I think hmmm.., maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My stock ported heads are great. I have more power than I did when I had Edelbrock heads. Of course they came with bad guides...

·
In over my head
1,116 Posts
Getting off topic and this is not directed to you 93Mustang5.0. But. I wonder why so many people seem to have ported stock heads. I wonder how many are actually ported compared to the amount of people that think they have ported heads because the previous owner said they were because the previous owner before that said they were. Why would someone spend the time and money to do that work and them put in a letter cam? This is not the 80's when people were experimenting with a limited aftermarket. There are better choices for performance and price out there. I guess if you have them laying around and you do the work yourself it can be worth it. Every time I see a Mustang for sale with ported polichsed stock heads and a letter cam, I think hmmm.., maybe I'm wrong.

I agree, I'm sure a set done by fox lake or tmoss or someone that KNOWS heads wouldn't be awful. If I personally ported them, I don't think it'd even be worth the cost of a headgasket! I'd manage to make them worse...

·
PhD in Procrastinology
4,897 Posts
How much does it cost to get heads p&p by these guys? Wouldn't it be better to save the money and buy some trick flows, new or used?

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GT40 heads are good for at least 30+ horse. Toss those stockers in the scrap bin. Surprising that someone would go to the trouble to rebuild it and leave the stock heads.
Yeah, i think it was for money reasons, and the fact that he bought another car that was in better shape and put money in it instead. But how much more hp could i get out of the TF twisted wedge over the gt40s?

·
PhD in Procrastinology
4,897 Posts
I'm not sure on the exact number but I'm guessing in the 55-70 range. Someone with a little more knowledge on this subject can answer it better. I've only read forums and such. It seems as though the TF heads are really good.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not sure on the exact number but I'm guessing in the 55-70 range. Someone with a little more knowledge on this subject can answer it better. I've only read forums and such. It seems as though the TF heads are really good.
Wait, 55-70 hp MORE than gt40s?

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
And a letter cam. With my ede's and an e I was getting 216 rwhp. With the ported stockers I'm at 262. Just saying
Do you have track times for both setups?

Unless your stockers were flowing north of 230cfms (highly doubtful) then you aren't making more power with stock ported heads.

Aftermarket heads are just better in design, not just flow. Better designed chambers, better port shape and they have more potential of course.

Sent from my galaxy s II

1 - 20 of 28 Posts