Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was removing fuel rail and dripped some fuel on my head light. It looks like some kind of clear coat pealing.
Can it be fixed or should I replace? They are three years old and from ford.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yeah looks like clear coat failure.

Can always try to sand it out, compound, polish then re-clear if you want.

That is if you have a DA or some way to remove sanding marks.

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah looks like clear coat failure.

Can always try to sand it out, compound, polish then re-clear if you want.

That is if you have a DA or some way to remove sanding marks.
So that is a clear coat, what clear coat (rattle can) work best cuz I know some clears get yellow after a while.

what type compound works best?
I have tools

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
just buy a headlight restoration kit, it should sand it out and give you a new clear coat to apply as well.

·
Registered
479 Posts
It looks like clear coat but is hard to tell for sure, and it's possible that it actually messed up the plastic.

The only way to tell would be to take sandpaper to it and see if it will come out.

I used dupli-color enamel clear when I painted my trim pieces and it works well.

I've heard Meguiars PlasticX works well on headlights. Or if you have M105/205 you can use that.

just buy a headlight restoration kit, it should sand it out and give you a new clear coat to apply as well.
If you go this route get the 3M one with the drill attachment, it will save you a lot of time. They have it at Wal-mart. Use it to sand and polish the sanding marks out, then throw a coat of clear on.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah i'd recommend using Meguir's products as bluesmoke said. Regardless of how it turns out American Muscle sells some pretty cheap headlights.

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well before picking up a kit and removing light I decided to wet sand a test section.
Looks like the small amount of fuel I dropped on light actually etched into the plastic,as someone mentioned above.

Think I'll just replace it. It's etched pretty deep
Kinda makes you wonder what they are putting in our fuel today LOL

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yeah I knew that could have been a possibility.

Good luck on your search for new lights, I personally love my smoked lenses w/ clear corners, but those might not be for your car with what you got going on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts