Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
eating 1 ricer at a time
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lately my key chipped a little and now it slides out of the ignition when the car is running its actually been handy for when it's cold I can lock the car let it run with the keys in my pocket. Is this going to hurt my car at all defect the chip in the key or hurt the ignition system? It starts every time. ImageUploadedByAutoguide1356136245.691876.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
ZYZZ Brah
3,630 Posts
Caution guys, picture taken by potato.

LOL. I dont know OP, I would think it can't be good for the car but I can't think of any reason why it would mess up. I just wouldn't be taking the key out when it's running

·
MM's V6 Hater
13,422 Posts
My friend had a old ass toyota truck that you could take the key out while driving. he did that everyday for 3 years or so. Nothing happened. he didnt have the pats system neither.

Just dont take the key out? or does it vibrate out while driving? Do you have a second key? I would go ahead and get another key cut so you dont get stranded if something does happen

·
Registered
380 Posts
My spare key isn't quite cut correctly and the same thing happens. I can take it out while the ignition switch is on any position, and the car will stay running. It's no big deal.

·
eating 1 ricer at a time
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No it doesn't vibrate it is where it's supposed to be in there it just slides out when I pull on it gently it doesn't lock at all but like the picture shows its cracked and chipped too, i would have a new key made if they weren't $90 a key

·
Registered
808 Posts
The only thing I can think of is dont run them thru the washing machine by accident.

·
Banned
1,232 Posts
Nothing wrong with taking it out if it comes out easily, my buddies dad had a beamer that did that from the factory.

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
The only thing I can think of is dont run them thru the washing machine by accident.
Why? Ive gone swimming in the ocean many times with my car keys and fob in my shorts pocket because I didnt want to leave them on the beach. Still works fine...They're sealed up pretty well apparently.

Until you chip it like OP's. I wouldnt run your key through the washer OP lol

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
My friend had a old ass toyota truck that you could take the key out while driving. he did that everyday for 3 years or so. Nothing happened. he didnt have the pats system neither.

Just dont take the key out? or does it vibrate out while driving? Do you have a second key? I would go ahead and get another key cut so you dont get stranded if something does happen
+1

·
aloha ke akua
13,177 Posts
Your key look like you just pulled it out of your crusty butt crack after living there for several years.. You should get a new one.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
My ranger does that. I start it up to get warm and pull the key and lock the door. lol

·
eating 1 ricer at a time
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Your key look like you just pulled it out of your crusty butt crack after living there for several years.. You should get a new one.
Lol you gonna forward me 90$ to key this damn thing replaced that a little pricey for 10seconds worth of work

1 - 20 of 33 Posts