Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had to use a c clamp to squeeze the clutch in to get the cable on now the clutch slips alot....

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
You adjuster inside the car is probably set up for your previous clutch.

I forget how you release the pawl to reset. I usually just get an adustable clutch cable that has a nut on the end.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You can't adjust the stock cable, but you can use a better quadrant and a firewall adjuster w/ a stock cable. Did you pull the pedal up once you got it back in there?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can't adjust the stock cable, but you can use a better quadrant and a firewall adjuster w/ a stock cable. Did you pull the pedal up once you got it back in there?
no i just pull up on the pedel??

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Yep +1 on that. I even gave instructions about it on a previous post a while back. Long story short on this because everyone is only saying lift up with your foot but not telling you the rest.

1. Lift the clutch pedal with your foot of course
2. SLOWLY and very gently push the clutch pedal down until you touch the floor(You will/should hear clicks when you start pressing it down)

3. After you have let it touch the floor, slowly let up until your foot lets off the clutch pedal and then take it for a spin to see how it does.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would ditch this crap equipment asap. These plastic quad, pawl, etc.. are all 20 yrs. old now and falling apart. Next time your down there replace the quad and install an adjuster. Well worth the money and a breeze to adjust right where you want it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
this is the same **** i am having trouble with. no matter how slow i push the pedal down and mess with things it wont catch....i have a steeda quadrant on the way but cant drive till it gets here......dont know what else to try

·
Registered
396 Posts
i just messed with it and the only thing i think is bad is the pawl, the quad was off a wrecked 93 that had low miles so its not bad, and i cant really feel the teeth on the pawl but thats got to be it....one more day till i get back on the road with my luck it will rain....i just replaced both motormounts and got it tuned in after the cam swap and drove it for a mile when the cable snaped and causes all this..... its hell!!!!!

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Yeah mine won't catch, You get that one hard click like it missed and from there is practically nothing. Do seeing it will be my first clutch quadrant install, just how "easy" is it to install. What tools to I need to rent at Autozone to install this quad and new cable? How long does it take?

·
Registered
396 Posts
just pliers for the cotter pins a 8mm for the hold down to the frame and for the safety hold down dust cover thing on the tranny and where the cable runs through the firewall. a screw driver (phillips) for the heater vent ...it helps to take it off. then you will need to do your yoga cause your gonna be bending all kinda wierd ways...lol its easy just frustrating. im getting mine in the mail tomorrow so ill let you know how putting the new one on goes...but good luck.

·
Registered
396 Posts
so i got the quad. but the pin in the back where the pawl was on is bent toward the firewall so my quad wont slide on smooth i have been prying the **** out of it and it wont slide on......any suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
51 Posts
so i got the quad. but the pin in the back where the pawl was on is bent toward the firewall so my quad wont slide on smooth i have been prying the **** out of it and it wont slide on......any suggestions anyone?
It's a major pia. But seems you won't be able to do much w/ it while it's still behind the dash. I've never seen it. Good luck, maybe someone will have a suggestion.

·
Registered
396 Posts
its in now just had to use a bigger pry bar.....but my pedal doesnt sit right so i have to get a ajuster....can i use a firewall ajuster on the stock cable?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
its in now just had to use a bigger pry bar.....but my pedal doesnt sit right so i have to get a ajuster....can i use a firewall ajuster on the stock cable?
Yes, the stock cable is good and you can use a firewall adjuster with any cable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep +1 on that. I even gave instructions about it on a previous post a while back. Long story short on this because everyone is only saying lift up with your foot but not telling you the rest.

1. Lift the clutch pedal with your foot of course
2. SLOWLY and very gently push the clutch pedal down until you touch the floor(You will/should hear clicks when you start pressing it down)

3. After you have let it touch the floor, slowly let up until your foot lets off the clutch pedal and then take it for a spin to see how it does.
Hey, I tried to do this but when I did it, it was really easy to push to the floor and didn't click, but when I let go slowly it clicked and then my clutch cable is really tight. When it's tight after I do that I cant push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor anymore. I had a stage 2 clutch put in a week before my car broke down over a year ago. And I just did an engine swap.

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
Hey, I tried to do this but when I did it, it was really easy to push to the floor and didn't click, but when I let go slowly it clicked and then my clutch cable is really tight. When it's tight after I do that I cant push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor anymore. I had a stage 2 clutch put in a week before my car broke down over a year ago. And I just did an engine swap.
UGH 2 year old tread dude.

you probably just need a new clutch cable and adjuster.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts