Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious because i am broke and dont want to dump much more into my stang? What can I do?

·
Registered
16 Posts
theres stage 1,2,3 and they go by how much metal you take out, best port would be 2 or 3 depending on your plans for car

·
Jackpot, fishypoopypants!
1,986 Posts
What kind of set-up do you need to support a stage 3 port? Intake, mani, cams? Or should a 3 be saved for F/I?

·
Registered
929 Posts
What is a stage 3 port? I really dnt know much about this stuff
No offense my friend, but if you have to ask, then you really shouldn't try it yourself. Porting is about port shape and flow velocity. The port volume is important, but simply grinding out the ports to make them bigger is not the way. The valve size and seats and combustion chamber shape & design are also big players. You can very easily make the heads flow worse by not knowing what you're doing, along with ruining a set of otherwise good PI heads....and it doesn't sound like you have the funds to afford any mistakes. I would do some reading/research on head porting before you do anything. Then, if you feel comfortable doing it yourself and are willing to risk any potential loss, go for it. I just want you to understand what you're getting into before you do it. ;)

FYI: You CAN do minor port improvement yourself and with great results, as long as you know what you're doing. It scares me when people ask "how much material can I remove". Other than smoothing & blending the valve pockets, removing casting flash and port matching, anything more will require machine work and specific knowledge of the SOHC port flow dynamics. The aftermarket CNC ported heads have re-shaped combustion chambers, bigger aftermarket high flow valves, etc. The head flow must also be properly supported and matched to the RPM range and by the rest of the engine, i.e. cams, intake, exhaust, compression, gears, torque converter stall, etc.. As a rule, small ports & valves offer higher velocity flow for lower cam lifts, low end torque and good streetablity. If you put a set of hogged out stage 3 heads w/big ports & valves on a stock or even mild bolt-on car, you will kill power in the only RPM range your motor can make it and the Civics will eat your lunch.

Start with reading this

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/en...dcore/0602em_cylinder_head_porting/index.html

·
Registered
161 Posts
^agreed. You really don't want to start changing your heads characteristics unless you know what your are doing.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Stage this and stage that....it doesn't mean a damn thing except when comparing what one business is offering. Its not a measurement and it is not standard.

Now once you get over that nonsense yes you can port the heads and until recently ported stock heads were your only option for improving performance. Like others have said though its not really about removing as much material as possible especially with a naturally aspirated engine. You can get huge flow numbers but the velocity of the air is just as important. If you hog out the ports too much you will kill the velocity and ultimately end up with a worse performing set of heads.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
There was a nice episode on horsepower tv for the average guy on how to do a little porting, they were just using the gaskets to get match port opening to a little bigger and only barely touched the inside really only to polish..... let me see if i can dig up that episode.

Its episode 7 of the 2011 season, its called, Horsepowers Port and Polish for Power How-To .... i cant find the actual video yet

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
That's really only worth trying on the intake side. I wouldn't go near the exhaust myself.

·
Registered
337 Posts
if you are really that hurt on funds I would just leave it alone. besides even if you did do a good job you would likely need a tune, do you have the tuner, software, wideband, ect to do that?

if I were you I would just max out your bolt-ons and supporting mods with what money you have now. you can port out PI heads but if it was MY 2v I would just hold off until I could afford the twisted wedge heads. it is a completely diffrent casting, the move the positions of the valves and all sorts of ****.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Stage this and stage that....it doesn't mean a damn thing except when comparing what one business is offering. Its not a measurement and it is not standard.
X2..............what's more, not all the flow numbers advertised for the different brands of ported heads can be directly compared. Some are based on the more common 4.00" cylinder bore, which makes the numbers look better than what is actually provided when installed on a stock bore 4.6L.

·
Registered
678 Posts
if you are really that hurt on funds I would just leave it alone. besides even if you did do a good job you would likely need a tune, do you have the tuner, software, wideband, ect to do that?

if I were you I would just max out your bolt-ons and supporting mods with what money you have now. you can port out PI heads but if it was MY 2v I would just hold off until I could afford the twisted wedge heads. it is a completely diffrent casting, the move the positions of the valves and all sorts of ****.
Don't forget the cost of new gaskets and bolts.

·
Registered
678 Posts
X2..............what's more, not all the flow numbers advertised for the different brands of ported heads can be directly compared. Some are based on the more common 4.00" cylinder bore, which makes the numbers look better than what is actually provided when installed on a stock bore 4.6L.
...and flow numbers aren't everything. A head with the swirl damn removed might post bigger numbers but will not work as well on an NA engine and it increases the volume of the combustion chamber which lowers the compression ratio.

·
1,986 Posts

The May issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords did a write-up on a 4.6 2v stroker with twisted wedge heads. It put out 461 brake and 604 on nitrous. After reading that, I've decided to do the same thing this winter to my motor. I was just going to port my PI heads though. The only thing I'm not sure about is if I port the heads out to a 3, will I have enough to feed them without going FI?

·
Registered
678 Posts
The May issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords did a write-up on a 4.6 2v stroker with twisted wedge heads. It put out 461 brake and 604 on nitrous. After reading that, I've decided to do the same thing this winter to my motor. I was just going to port my PI heads though. The only thing I'm not sure about is if I port the heads out to a 3, will I have enough to feed them without going FI?
I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall. You can not port your heads out to a "3" because no such thing exist. One company's stage 3 might only be another company's stage 2 or yet another company's stage 4. "Stages" don't mean a damn thing. IMHO if you can't grasp that concept you probably shouldn't be porting your own heads.

·
1,986 Posts
Alright, dick. I never said I was porting my own heads. And neither did the OP. And there sure are a lot of shops and companies offering a stage 3 port for such a thing not existing.

Now, I understand that there are no 'set dimension' for a stage 1, 2, or 3, and that they differ from shop to shop. So I guess I have to get a bit more specific.

If I sent my head to MMR and had them ported to a stage 3 (there goes that damn stage 3 again, existing!) would I have enough to feed the damn thing without going FI?

MMR Stage 3 Port and Polish- 240 int/206 EX @ .500

1 - 20 of 29 Posts