Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never thought I'd let this happen to me. This is one hell of an amateur mistake. My wife got the **** scared out of her when it happened and now swears the car is cursed.

A couple weeks ago I hit a deer, causing minor damage to the hood, bumper, and headlight. I put all new lights up front and test fitted a new Cervini's cowl hood. I hadn't driven it in a while, so I took it for a spin last night. A couple miles down the road at about 50-60mph and without the warning, the hood just snaps straight up-right. I hit the brakes and it came back down and latched. Too late, the cowl panel was smashed and put a small crack in the hood where it contacted the passenger side wiper.

Fortunately, it didn't contact the windsheild or roof and it appears the hood is repairable. My pride, on the other hand...

I'm going to take it (slowly) to an autobody shop I'm planning to use for the deer repairs and hood painting and will now have to ask for cowl repair. I understand this panel is structural, so it's not a walk in the park to replace. Can't wait for the estimate. :(

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I was never a fan of hood pins in the past but I've seen one fly up myself and there is a story here every few months about it as well. The problem is not specifically the hood itself but the additional damage to the cowl and the roof that makes it that much worse. Yes, hood pins FTW!

·
Registered
229 Posts

i bought hood pins.......but have yet to but them on the car.:sorry

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
I had this happen at the track ( unfortuantely mine came back into the windshield and the roof before ripping off all together and flying 30 feet in the air ). Evidentally the factory latch on foxes is not that reliable. I will never own another fox without pins.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What gets me is the latch clicked into place and the safety catch appeared to work fine when popping the hood. The only thing I can think of is that the latch could've been adjusted a bit higher so that you get that little bit of play in the hood after it latches.

I like the look of the FRPP hood pins. Looks to me a wise investment for now on.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
a set of these and you don't have to worry about a think your hoods going to fly up hahaha Mustang Chrome Hood Pin Appearance kit at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
LOL, Why are those even made and who the hell buys them? You get the questionable look of pins without the protection of actually having hood pins. The absolute worst of both worlds. I don't know how reliable or filtered american muscles product review section is but I can't believe not a single person gave a review that those are useless and will make you look like an idiot when you pop your hood.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
but hood pins are so ugggggglllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
LOL, Why are those even made and who the hell buys them? You get the questionable look of pins without the protection of actually having hood pins. The absolute worst of both worlds. I don't know how reliable or filtered american muscles product review section is but I can't believe not a single person gave a review that those are useless and will make you look like an idiot when you pop your hood.
I am guessing you didnt notice Darkslayers pic above with that exact kit on it when you made this post;):rolleyes: or did you:D

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
Sorry to hear about your situation.. it sucks I had it happen to me on i95 doing 90 plus mph one night. I have to say I just about had a brick of **** in my pants afterwards lol but basically no shoulder at the point of the road and had to pull the hood down far enough to tie it down with my shoe laces. The hood was complete loss, the cowl panel was f'd and the roof was banged in good. I ended up selling the car to a body guy who re did all the work and turned it into a track car.

They also make aluminum hood pin kits that are powdered coated black.. they look much better on dark cars and I was going to go with them for my dark blue hatch but lost the guys info that sold them.

·
Registered
155 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Been there, done that. I couldn't afford to pay a body shop to fix it so i did it myself. I found a replacement cowl at a local junkyard for $ 75 ( i had to cut it out myself ). I removed the front clip, windshield, drilled out like 80 spot welds ( another 80 on the replacement ). welded in the new cowl. A new windshield and a spare plastic cowl and for under $ 200 i had everything fixed.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
F#ck those locking hood pins. My buddy had a nitrous backfire and almost burned his car to the ground fumbling with the locks trying to get the hood open.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts