Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be more worthwhile, doing a full PI swap on my 122k mile engine or doing an entire engine swap with a 99+ GT that has 50k or less miles?

Im thinking about my car in the long run so obviously the engine swap would be better but how much would it cost?

And about how much would the labor cost be for an entire engine swap?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,921 Posts
engine swap, better IMO and do it yourself, buy you a junker to drive while the stang is getting operated on and we can guide you, and buy yourself a manual for your car.
 

·
The Hammer
Joined
·
14,288 Posts
ujslost said:
engine swap, better IMO and do it yourself, buy you a junker to drive while the stang is getting operated on and we can guide you, and buy yourself a manual for your car.
i agree....if ya got the cash and the ability go with a 99+ motor...

i recently made the decision to go PI this afternoon, and am in search of a set of heads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
forget the 99+ swap go out and find yourself a 4V (96-98).. 2Vs are worthless cant do anything with these god dam motors in N/A form
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
how can you do a compression test i have 144 k on mine and i'd like to test it. also in the future id like to swap it out for either a rebuilt 96 gt motor, a 99 gt motor, or maybe a 96 cobra motor depending on how much i save i was lookin at them at autozone today
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
Wouldn't doing a full PI swap "technically" knock the miles down a little bit?? I mean, putting new heads, valve train components, and changing some other things like timing chains, o-rings, you know...little ****, while you're in there would help the engine alot wouldn't it? I'm not saying I'm totally against the engine swap. It is a great idea, but entertain a more simple approach first...lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,921 Posts
AnglicoGT98 said:
Wouldn't doing a full PI swap "technically" knock the miles down a little bit?? I mean, putting new heads, valve train components, and changing some other things like timing chains, o-rings, you know...little ****, while you're in there would help the engine alot wouldn't it? I'm not saying I'm totally against the engine swap. It is a great idea, but entertain a more simple approach first...lol
Not really. Because you are only rebuilding the valvetrain pretty much. Or the "top end" of the motor. The rings and pistons and cylinder wall all still have the xxx,xxx miles on them. I have seen ppl rebuild the top end of a high milage motor and therefore blow the bottom end. Putting new parts on old parts tends to put older parts under more stress. I think this usually is the case in engines with over 250k miles though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
do the PI swap but, look into rebuilding the short block, get forged internals and bore it out. If you do that, ya um you pretty much have a brand new motor. but its all up to you and what you want. do like they said and get a beater and do it right!
 

·
The Hammer
Joined
·
14,288 Posts
ujslost said:
AnglicoGT98 said:
Wouldn't doing a full PI swap "technically" knock the miles down a little bit?? I mean, putting new heads, valve train components, and changing some other things like timing chains, o-rings, you know...little ****, while you're in there would help the engine alot wouldn't it? I'm not saying I'm totally against the engine swap. It is a great idea, but entertain a more simple approach first...lol
Not really. Because you are only rebuilding the valvetrain pretty much. Or the "top end" of the motor. The rings and pistons and cylinder wall all still have the xxx,xxx miles on them. I have seen ppl rebuild the top end of a high milage motor and therefore blow the bottom end. Putting new parts on old parts tends to put older parts under more stress. I think this usually is the case in engines with over 250k miles though.
+1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hmmm. Im still split on what I should do. Ill do the compression test and see if that changes my mind. Nothings gonna happen for at least 10 months though so I guess that leaves me more time to think lol.

And the Cobra swap sounds tempting as well but I think thats gonna be more money then Im willing to spend.
 

·
The Hammer
Joined
·
14,288 Posts
k3vin said:
hmmm. Im still split on what I should do. Ill do the compression test and see if that changes my mind. Nothings gonna happen for at least 10 months though so I guess that leaves me more time to think lol.

And the Cobra swap sounds tempting as well but I think thats gonna be more money then Im willing to spend.
For a 4v swap ur looking at spending well over 5 grand when ur all said and done, where as u can find a cheap PI swap for under 1500 if u take ur time and look.
 

·
mm's nitrous mod
Joined
·
12,988 Posts
npi to pi swaps are great for you guys! people are showing dyno results of 99rwhp with vt heads, cams, and header back alone! it is well worth the money and by far the best bang for the buck. if you are on a budget, do the swap. if you have the money to blow, just get a cammer :D
 

·
The Hammer
Joined
·
14,288 Posts
SWEET2KSTANG said:
npi to pi swaps are great for you guys! people are showing dyno results of 99rwhp with vt heads, cams, and header back alone! it is well worth the money and by far the best bang for the buck. if you are on a budget, do the swap. if you have the money to blow, just get a cammer :D
i must sound like and idiot but what is a cammer?
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top