Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im debating on which one to buy first. its between gears or tuner. some people said since its 5 speed to get the gears first?? which gets a better gain 3.73 gear or tuner??

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
I'm also having a hard time deciding :-/
from wat I hear, tuner gives u more power and gears make ur car alot more fun to drive

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
as much driving as i do on the interstate and and driving long distances im afraid to get 410's

·
Registered
266 Posts
I hear ya, but don't fear the GEAR. My Brother has 4.30's in his Mach 1 and we drove from IL to FL (85mph +) no issues

but if you're that worried 3.73's will work too, it's what I have good if you ever get a S/C.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
I'd say do the gears. You probably aren't gonna feel the 10 or 15 hp you get from a tuner, but you'll def. tell the difference with the gears. Great SOTP gain!

·
Registered
634 Posts
I vote gears bro don't forget about the 3.90 inbetween gear as well, prolly a good compromise?

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
Keep in mind that you will need a tuner to adjust the speedo for your gears... On a manual you can sit on it for a while, but I'd get annoyed if my speed was off and the car registered a lot more miles on it than what's really there.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I got the tuner first. They are right, you won't feel the little power you get from the tuner as much as the gears, but I got it first because it was needed to correct the speedo when I got the gears, and I didn't want to drive around guessing at my speed and adding extra miles to the clock until I could get the tuner. If you are not worried about that, then get the gears first. Also, I do alot of highway driving, and I got the 3.73's. I can't imagine 300 more rpm at 80 mph for 1500 miles. The 3.73's gave me enough kick to make me happy in the city.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Oh wow.... I didn't kno u had to adjust all that **** :O
I'm deff buying the tuner first

·
Registered
978 Posts
you will need a tuner to correct your speedo that is correct, and dont be afraid of those gears. i was at first myself........but i went with it and got the 4.10's. ill never look back cuz it was a great decision IMO. ;)

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
you will need a tuner to correct your speedo that is correct, and dont be afraid of those gears. i was at first myself........but i went with it and got the 4.10's. ill never look back cuz it was a great decision IMO. ;)
Lol, I have never looked back either, and later when I get blown, I will be much happier I went with the 3.73's. :p

·
Registered
121 Posts
+1 on the tuner, i agree with everyone else. I wouldnt want to add any extra miles to the car. And i had a z71 on 38 in. boggers, and the speedo being off was a pain in the ass. I had to guess at the speed and it sucked.

·
Cones = Yummy!
2,241 Posts
im debating on which one to buy first. its between gears or tuner. some people said since its 5 speed to get the gears first?? which gets a better gain 3.73 gear or tuner??
I'm getting my tuner now, only cuz I got a good deal, I won't use it till I get the gears put in though..

$300+/- for a tuner

$500+/- for gears, and you need the tuner for the gear change..

Or just wait and drop it all at one time..

·
Cones = Yummy!
2,241 Posts
I vote gears bro don't forget about the 3.90 inbetween gear as well, prolly a good compromise?
the difference between 3.9 & 4.10 is like 100 -200 rmps.. 4.10s...

3.73 if you live in a crazy area up and down hills, etc.. ton of people on 4.10s doing 2500 @ 80mph.. no biggie

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
I got the tuner first. They are right, you won't feel the little power you get from the tuner as much as the gears, but I got it first because it was needed to correct the speedo when I got the gears, and I didn't want to drive around guessing at my speed and adding extra miles to the clock until I could get the tuner. If you are not worried about that, then get the gears first. Also, I do alot of highway driving, and I got the 3.73's. I can't imagine 300 more rpm at 80 mph for 1500 miles. The 3.73's gave me enough kick to make me happy in the city.
Thats what I was gonna say, your speedo will be off if you dont have a tuner with gears. I have 3.73s on my car and it blown and they are great.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts