Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i cant find this 4.2 motor :mad::mad:

---------- Post added at 01:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

will a 1988 t bird bottom end work with my top end

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
local junkyards, or my friend craig who has a list. buy the whole truck and just scrap it after you take what you need, thats what i plan on doing.

·
Fee Fie Foe Fum
1,724 Posts
Negative.. No bore is needed for 4.2... The 4.3 boys are just going I think its .030" over w a 4.2 kit to get their extra liter. Can probably do it all if you do it yourself for about the same price tho.. And it'd be a spanking new engine not some "hope it didnt get the **** ran out of it" engine even if you did spend a minute amount more..

·
Registered
530 Posts
all you need is the crank and pistons, the rods are the same. this is for 01 and up motors, heard chatter that 99-00 have other differences, there posted on a sticky somewhere

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so the crank rods and pistons will just swapp right in with no machining I might just get a 3.8 and do tht

with my motor which has 180k would it work with mine or should I still fine another one . trying to hold boost here at least low boost till I get some other things

·
Registered
530 Posts
so the crank rods and pistons will just swapp right in with no machining I might just get a 3.8 and do tht

with my motor which has 180k would it work with mine or should I still fine another one . trying to hold boost here at least low boost till I get some other things
If ur getting new pistons it's prob a good idea to get a fresh bore and if ur going that deep in ur engine a rebuild at that point makes sense.

Another lil tidbit I noticed u have a 99, from what I've read the 99-00 motors had lil differences for example the 99-00's needed the 01 and up oil pan etc. not sure what else though, I was working with an 02 engine so I never needed to look more into it...Im sure others can shed more light on this

·
Registered
977 Posts
would a auto engine 3.8 fit with my manual?
well seeing as I went from an Auto to a Manual and didn't touch my motor I'm going to go with yes.

ALSO:
Car-Part.com Cheapest I found was $400 for an entire 4.2 out of a 2000 F150.

Edit:
:facepalm:
REPS!!! :lmao :lmao
_

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
There is a detailed post on v6p with a exact list of everything needed for the different years of mustangs.

It's stickies in one of the tech sections.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 19 of 19 Posts