Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
You know a gear swap is one of the hardest things to tackle on any car right? If you dont do it correctly, your gonna have major problems. I'd rather swap another motor than go through the gears.

So with that said...take a spin in his car, does it feel right...not making noises? Then do this...just swap out the rear end, its pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
i should have specified that! We are swapping the whole rearends. Minus brakes and control arms etc... :D Oh boy, i break 2nd loose now with the stockers, i can only imagine how the 4:10's will be . LOL
Just make sure ya go ride in his car to make sure everything is koshier then do it...its really not that hard to do that.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
You will love it...you will need to get a speed cal (can be done through a hand held tuner) for that setup though...your mph/tripometer is going to be off.

Ok sorry if this is pointing out the obvious...before you start tearing the rear end apart, disconnect the driveshaft first.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You will love it...you will need to get a speed cal (can be done through a hand held tuner) for that setup though...your mph/tripometer is going to be off.

Ok sorry if this is pointing out the obvious...before you start tearing the rear end apart, disconnect the driveshaft first.
Cmon Meow, i know this man. :D If i dont have the tuner, where can i get the right speedo gear?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
They stopped using the speedo gear in 96 or 97...its all done electronically now. If you want to go cheap you can go by a speed shop and set you up for around $150..but i'd recommend just getting an SCT XCAL 3

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
A tuner is worth more than just a few horsepower...the ability to data log and figure out what the heck is going on is worth much more than it...had i had one when i first started having problems on my old setup i would not have blown my old stock motor. Yes they will add hp, i think they say about 10 whp over stock or something like that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts