Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Nice pix. I've only just bought the car, and need some perf. mods before shoring up audio, but preplanning never hurt.

Those Focals in the door sub locations are exactly what I want to do. Are those the 8" mini-subs from Focal?

I can't block off the drop down seats or put amps in the trunk... need room for getting my weapons to martial arts class. :D But I intend to replace the spare tire with an electronic inflator and a can of fix-a-flat and stow an amp in there.

I've always envisioned the best soundstage for a coupe is to delete the rear fill speakers, throw some Focal 182.3s in the front, possibly some of the 8" subs in the doors and one 10-12" sub in the trunk. 200x2 wrms @ 4ohms to the front components of a bridged 100x4 amp, and a 200x2 amp bridged to mono 400x1 wrms @ 4ohms, maybe drop it to 2 and go with a smaller amp if it's a decent build quality. Haven't considered power to two 8" subs up front though....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Nice pix. I've only just bought the car, and need some perf. mods before shoring up audio, but preplanning never hurt.

Those Focals in the door sub locations are exactly what I want to do. Are those the 8" mini-subs from Focal?

I can't block off the drop down seats or put amps in the trunk... need room for getting my weapons to martial arts class. :D But I intend to replace the spare tire with an electronic inflator and a can of fix-a-flat and stow an amp in there.

I've always envisioned the best soundstage for a coupe is to delete the rear fill speakers, throw some Focal 182.3s in the front, possibly some of the 8" subs in the doors and one 10-12" sub in the trunk. 200x2 wrms @ 4ohms to the front components of a bridged 100x4 amp, and a 200x2 amp bridged to mono 400x1 wrms @ 4ohms, maybe drop it to 2 and go with a smaller amp if it's a decent build quality. Haven't considered power to two 8" subs up front though....
Im not sure what thoes speakers are in the door most thoes pics I pulled of cardomain. I have just started on my Audio system a couple weeks ago I added 2-10" JL Audio subs & a JL Audio Amp to the stock system. I got my amp turned down so the bass wont drown out the stock highs but I like the way it sounds.

O-yea if you dont wanna block the fold down seat I would just add a Sub on the side of the trunk (like the shaker system) and a amp you will be shocked how them two things will bring your stock system to life

·
Registered
119 Posts
I need to get a new deck atleast. Something with an AUX jack so I can hook up my iPod (got my 'stang one model year too soon).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I need to get a new deck atleast. Something with an AUX jack so I can hook up my iPod (got my 'stang one model year too soon).
I got the hookup in my center consel & I hooked up my MP3 player to it but I must say I am NOT impresed with the way it sounds. Im not sure if its because I got a MP3 & not the iPod or most my music on there comes from LimeWire but it sound kinda shity so Im still playing my CD's for now.

·
EMT
6,566 Posts
heres mine n I love it!!!!
I had a d300 n loved it and sold it with the SHO so I had to get another and next step up was the d310!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
heres mine n I love it!!!!
I had a d300 n loved it and sold it with the SHO so I had to get another and next step up was the d310!

Ive had a lot of Alpine in my past cars I just sold my old school Alpine CVA-1003 I think Im gonna switch brands & try something different this time around. Ive had my eye on this for a while now & I think it might be the next thing I buy for my system, but Im not sure wich brand to go with I have narrowed it down two choices
Pioneer USA - In-Dash Navigation
or
Kenwood - DNX8120

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I turn my stereo on, oh, never.. seriously. So if I do anything at any point, it will be super subtle as I'll never use it.
... have some respect for us daily Mustang drivers sir.

And I'd think for someone with a car that sounds as damn good as yours from that burnout video, it would be illegal, immoral or both to even have a stereo. :p

But I definitely agree on super subtle which is why I don't want anything showing in the trunk if I can't help it. Logically upgrading the stock speakers should make most of the difference anyway.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I got the hookup in my center consel & I hooked up my MP3 player to it but I must say I am NOT impresed with the way it sounds. Im not sure if its because I got a MP3 & not the iPod or most my music on there comes from LimeWire but it sound kinda shity so Im still playing my CD's for now.
Sound on your MP3s depends on how they're encoded - they may sound the same on cheap computer speakers, but on better speakers anything below 256kbps will be pretty ringy and muddy and just generally ugly. Finding anything above 198kbps on the musicsharing services may be difficult....
The ipod doesn't mean much except you'd be getting ripped off. I rip my CDs at 256kbps VBR for MP3. Takes up more space, but you can get a terabyte hard drive for what, $300 these days?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have a Eclipse AVN 5500 screen..
Pros: Navigation, Easy To Use, AUX w/ video for ZUNE users, 5volt pre-outs, Mustang radio is originally double din so it fits perfect.
Cons: Does not match interior, Navigation isn't accurate[most indashes aren't except Pioneer], Somewhat difficult to see in day.

Alpine Type-X [Reference] 5 1/4 components front and back.

Pros: Loud, Clear, Clean, Tight Mid-bass
Cons: Sometimes I wish I would of ponied the money for high-end Focal Components.

JL W3v2 12'' [x2]
Pros: Not too loud yet loud, Bass response is awesome for a 12'', Clean sound
Cons: Bottoms out on really low notes, Single Voice Coil design, JL's cheap look to their subs

Alpine F550 4-channel
Pros: 70 watts per channel @4ohm, stays cool [but the speakers on require 60watts each], clean look, not too large.
Cons: Does heat up a little bit, no major issue there

JL 500/1 Mono block
Pros: Reknown to be a badass, Pushes a very clean, punchy, powerful 500watts RMS, seems impossible to heat the amp up.
cons: None.

Sealed box
Pros: 1.5ft cubes per sub, flush with wheel wells in trunk carpet finish to match.
cons: i had to build it myself

Tsunami 0/1awg wire w/ distribution to 4gauge per amp [+/-]
pros: Very flexable wire, good heat resistance
cons: with 0gauge you have to run it underneath the car

X-treme Dynamate Bulk Packs [x5]
Pros: road noise is completey gone, allows music with the windows up or down to be much louder and cleaner, keeps the car alot cooler during summer time
Cons: It takes months [unless you spend all of your time on it] to completely dynamat the vehicle top to bottum, front to back, the vibrations don't stop they just sound less annoying

Overall I like my system.. It's not the loudest but it definately has amazing sound quality.. but, not on a competition level. It might be ok for certain classes but for me its just a good amount of loudness with the right level of sound quality.

First system: 1ft cube per sub sealed box, 2 kenwood W3011 12'' subs, Eclipse XA1000, 4 Alpine type-s 5x7 coax's..
Pros: Decent Loudness, OK Sound Quality at normal listening levels, subs hit loud and hard for only $50 a piece, eclipse amp ran like a champ.
Cons: Subs felt cheap and distorted at high output [cone flex], the speakers lost sound quality at high output due to no amp

It comes down to personal preference: How much do you car about quality? How much are you willing to spend? Can you do the work yourself or are you gonna have to factor in labor costs? Do you want it loud [if so are you willing to buy a optima battery, possibly a new alternator, and a regardless a capacitor]? Car audio prices up fast so make sure you have a idea of what you can spend.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
old system.

Phoenix Gold Xenon 12" subs.
Hifonics 1605d
Ample audio 242x
Alpine components(f)/5x7s(r)
Alpine IVA-D900

Did 144db on the TL
Competed in SB2/SQ

1 - 20 of 23 Posts