Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, lately i have been driving, and the car decides to die and kill the brakes and power steering at any given moment, mostly it happens as im downshifting but i have had it die in other surcumstances. Basically it doesnt matter what i do, it just dies. Now i looked through the codes and identified it as a vacuum leak, so i fixed that, car ran fine for a day and a half, no more rough idle, wasnt gasping for air above 2500, no more symtomes of what had been going on, then suddenly, im downshifting and it dies, locks up the drivetrain, and sends me skidding through and intersection with no steering at 40mph. Now i have had an instance where the car lost power brakes and steering while the motor was still going (was driving on the highway) and it stayed like that for about 5 minutes. Then the brakes came back and about 30 seconds later so did the steering. It made no damn sense at all. So now here i am again, trying to figure out wtf is causing my motor to do this, odd thing is that theres no more vacuum codes. Now it just has a heart attack atleast three to four times a day. After that it starts right back up and drives normally. Car only has 94000 miles on it, and ran like a bat out of hell till about 2 weeks ago. Could seriously use some help from you guys before i stick a size 14 steel toe through my quarter panel.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
belt was checked, its all fine, pulleys are ok, no slip what so ever, like i said its all random. It happens whenever wherever, it doesnt matter.

·
Registered
705 Posts
i think if im right the brakes and pwersteering are linked together some how.. check all your lines.. and when this happens does your ac still work??

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea, when you lose power to the steering you lose the brakes, all my lines are ok, i even replaced the stock one with some nice SS braided lines, and yes the AC still blows when this happens, meaning to me its not the belt, plus, theres no signs of belt slippage.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
when my tensioner went out it looked like the belt was fine but all that happened. needless to say, i didnt drive it anymore, i just parked it and got another ride to the store and back to get a new tensioner and changed in the rain in the parking lot.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
tenchener?

You mean tensioner? lol

regardless, I just went through a problem like this dude. My issue was the battery not having enough power to keep the car running when I was using the power steering and brakes at the same time. I swapped the battery and my car seems to be okay. I still think I have a vacuum leak somewhere though. So if you happen to find whats causing your problem let me know and I'll check out my bucket too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahh thanks, didn't check the tensioner. Will check that today while im checking the ignition and spark plugs. I don't believe its the battery but will deffinitly keep that in mind. I bought the battery about 8 months ago and car ran fine with it at the track and street till about 2 weeks ago. Will deffinitly let you know when its fixed. From what i've heard this is rare. So i'm crossing my fingers on finding wtf is going on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, none of that was the issue..Just replaced the spark plugs with NGK Iridium plugs, gaped them and everything and still nothing, coils are fine and the bat is juiced to maximum. Took car for a 5 mile drive and it died about 14 times

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Go to Autozone and get some carb cleaner and a new IAC gasket. Take your IAC off and scrape the old gasket off. Spray some carb cleaner in the holes on the IAC then put it back on with the new gasket.

Try that on. I ended up replacing my IAC at 76000 miles so I'm pretty sure that it isn't my problem, but its quite possible that it could be yours.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, ill give that a try. If that doesnt work i think im just going to invest in a new top end lol

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, i pulled my throttle body and plenum off and found i have a cracked intake....(dam plastic POS). So, fortunatly i have a friend that had an trickflow intake for sale and bought it off of him today. Put it on, and wow...took the car for a 3 hour drive of nothing but beating the piss out of it and no more problems, also had some more damn vacuum leaks. Now that its all fixed car runs better than ever.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
That's great man. Congrats. Shred some rubber for the pain you went through."

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
That's awesome that you found your problem! Now of course I have to pull my TB and plenum off looking for a crack. There's some good news

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha, yea i was surprised that the big problem was a crack in the intake. Been burning the hell out of my tires ever since problem was fixed, making up for time lost! Nice thing is i have two more sets of the Kuhmo ASX's in the garage :)

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
YAY!!! Now I say get some vids/pics of these burnouts and tire shredding sessions hehe.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haha, hell yes, tomorow ill try to get some up. Gotta get some bats for the cam. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alrighty, i have a vid made, just a driving video though, one launch from a dig. Rest is on the move. Didn't wanna burn up too much gas, **** is 3.60 a gallon here :(....Btw, does anyone have problems with their stock shifter? Odd thing is i miss ****ing 4th in here, never miss 3rd with this shifter, its always 4th lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts