Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within the past 2 months my car dies when I get on the off ramp and shift into neutral. I'm usually cruising around 80 and as soon as I get off I shift into neutral and it dies. This has happened to me about 4 times but not every time I do it. But it cranks right back up. The only mods I have are LT's, off-road h, flows, and a CAI. Is this because I don't have a tune. These parts have been on there almost a year and this just started happening. The car just turned 40k miles. Thanks

·
Registered
638 Posts
The RPMs randomly go down until the car dies right? Usually right after running her pretty hard? Ive heard it happen to a lot of people, mine did it a few times after I would race. When I felt it about to die I would just give it gas, It just kinda went away...

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
mycar has been doing that for years. it dont do it very often, but will do it when i am driving and the clutch is pushed in.:dunno. i have changed iac, vacum lines, tps, and tuned it, i cant get it narrowed down anymore. heck, my car is the 2nd worse cold natured car i have ever owned. it wont stay started on a cold start either.

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
it's a Ford.. lol

but seriously.. it's normal.

your jacking with your maf when you shift into neutral at a high rate of speed.
all your getting is air and no fuel.
your computer reads lean and can't compensate in time so your car shuts off..

your not really going lean.. the car just thinks so.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It happens to me on occasion and I only have 3k on the new motor. Usually when I am coasting to a light or intersection in neutral.

·
IBEATU
5,919 Posts
it's a Ford.. lol

but seriously.. it's normal.

your jacking with your maf when you shift into neutral at a high rate of speed.
all your getting is air and no fuel.
your computer reads lean and can't compensate in time so your car shuts off..

your not really going lean.. the car just thinks so.
Wow, for real??!! Thats crazy man, I've never heard of a car doing that before

·
Registered
638 Posts
^ its a good thing i guess, because if the car actually was lean and it didnt shut off you would be in trouble lol! lets keep this going-

What are some example of why cars go lean. With all of our modifications, what are some common reasons for a car to run lean. Its just good to know!

good info HMUSN! :yourock

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
I have seen this a bunch of times. The most typical cause is when the MAF is located right behind the air filter in the fender well. What is happening is that air is blowing onto the maf and causing the car to think there is more air going into the motor than there really is, so it adds more fuel. It is actually going rich, not lean. Home made ram air kits also cause these issues. If you have a datalogger you can log the maf counts and my bet is that the maf counts will be far higher at idle and 80mph vs idle at <20mph. There is a chance the IAC can cause these issues, but if they only happen at speed, i would look at some sort of air filter air shield to block any direct air onto the filter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts