Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its an 89 5.0 auto, put new cap, rotor, wires plugs, timed to 12* after 3000rpms car starts to feel like something it holding it make or it has like a misfire to it. i checked everything can;t figure out wat it is. maybe the coil or the distrbitor is messed up im not really sure. can any one give me somethings to check. only thing i did not change was fuel filter for tune up. any info is appreciated thanx

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
fuel pressure,fuel injectors,plugs,make sure u have the right fireing order and it is going counter clockwise. mass air meter? could be anything....

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
After you replaced everything else, you apparently left out spark plugs. You mind as well replace the plugs if you are going to place new wires in. Your timing could be off, firing order like e3sean said. I'm willing to bet it's your timing. What gas are you using? if you are using 89... bump away from the BS and use a stronger grade water like 89 or 93. I use 93oct and bump my timing around 13-14* and works grade. Got that much better when I got rid of that POS stock coil and got an msd blaster 3. But yes check your firing order.

Go to goo and click "images"
type in "mustang 5.0 firing ordere" without the quotes
images will pop up and you'll see that the firing order image for your car is dispolayed

click it, print it 3 times, keep one in car, one in room and one for backup

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i time the car to 14*, new plugs gapped to .035 i always use 93oct. just put in a blaster coil still having a problem checked firing order everything is correct

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just took the spark plugs out and the number 8cyl had oil on the threads wat does this mean? its not leaking from valve covers replaced them already. then put new plugs in and now this what could it be?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
means leaky valve cover if the oil is only on the threads. IF it is on the electrode and the plug looks all black and sooty then you have oil control issues.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
means leaky valve cover if the oil is only on the threads. IF it is on the electrode and the plug looks all black and sooty then you have oil control issues.
wat do you mean by oil control issues i put a brand new pcv valve and filter in it wat else could it be. can this be the reason my car feels funny.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Well are your plugs sooty and dark looking like it is burning oil?

If yes, could be bad valve seals or worn rings

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well are your plugs sooty and dark looking like it is burning oil?

If yes, could be bad valve seals or worn rings
no not really all of them look good except for number 8cyl it had oil right on beginin of threads closet to side going into block... not really sure why its just that one..

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
You know, I had the same problem and I changed my upper and lower gaskets on the intake manifold and have not seen the stuff again. Hell I had oil on /in my intake mani and I changed them out.

Also when you changed your PCV valve, did you replace or deep clean your breather filter located directly under the pcv valve inside the manifold? If not, when you replaced everything else, you could be getting build up on the filter and it's in desprete need of replacing or cleaning. If that is not replaced or whatever, the oil pressure has to release somewhere and it can blow timing cover gaskets... replace the breather filter, $6.99 at Autozone, pick out your breather filter and drop the new one in

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Check your firing order, I know some one that just had a very similer problem, pull your plugs 1 at a time to see what cylender is giving you problems

·
Registered
37 Posts
If the problem just started when you did the tune-up I would suspect one of the new parts might be a dud. If it's been doing it, try cleaning the mass air flow sensor with some brake cleaner. Also, the clogged PCV filter sounds likely.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well wen i had the upper intake off to change the valve cover gaskets there was a black residue dryed onto the side of the walls is that wat you guys are talking about. and the pcv filter is brand new.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts