Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 V6, just so you know what car i broke...

So driving home the other day outside temp was a nice 75 degrees. glanced at my gauges and noticed that my temp gauge was reading higher than normal. Stuck in traffic under 15 MPH so no airflow. sitting inside it so I couldnt confirm the fan was running. pulled off and let it cool for 45 mins. Verified that when AC was on fan came on. But like an idiot I didnt see if it cam on by its self while idling on the side of the road. traffic let up and I got back on the road. gauge stayed in the happy place.

Parked the car until I could run some tests and what not. pulled the thermostat tonight and put in a pan of water on the stove. Stat is a 195, and sure enough at 195 degrees it was opening. Jiggler air valve was at the top. replaced stat any way since I had the old one out. topped off the coolant and let the car idle while watching temps on a scanner. Fan kicked on at 217 and dropped off when temp said 214 on scanner, but it kept dropping to 204 after fan went off.

2 concerns...

1. should the fan be waiting that long to come on?

2. Fan is powered under hood by the 30 amp circut breaker. do these go bad? I had been in traffic for about 30 mins so Im sure it had been cycling a BUNCH of times. is it possible for it to have overheated and stayed open? when I finally started driving again I swapped it with the 30 amp fuse from my defroster just incase it was bad....

Cooling system was totally full and coolant was nice and green. overflow res was sstill 1/2 full.

Any ideas what I should look at? debating swapping the water pump and rad just for peace of mind, but thought I would ask here first.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I would hose out the radiator and flush the cooling system to begin. The stock cooling system is more than adequite.

Those temps are normal for the fan to kick on. You can change the temps in a tune if you really wanted but those temps are pretty normal.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My fan started to go weird and only work sometimes, replaced it, havent had any issues since

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well coolant flush and new T-Stat seem to have worked. tracking it with my bluetooth reader and Torque on my phone and normal running is 199-203 with sitting still in traffic temp goes to 217.4 an kicks fan on dropping it to 206. Guy i bought it from said he had just replaced the stat and when I boiled it in water on teh stove it opend at 195 as it should have. Im betting he didnt get it bled fully and properly. or maybe the coolant flushing i did cleared something out. I dont know, all I know is it is working fine now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts