Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so on a road trip up here to sacramento (2hr drive) im going up an overpass and giving it alil more trottle then i should, the car turns off my battery light came on, was able to make a turn and park turn it completly off and restart it and make it to my cousins house. put the obd2 in to see if any codes popped up and nothing. im kinda consered because i have a 2 hour trip back home any idea what happened? thanks

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Mine has shut off like this twice since I bought it 2 and a half years ago. It's scary losing power steering and brakes. It done it once a few months after I bought the car and once a few months ago. Maybe it was just a random thing?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its the first time its done this to me, but when i had 24lb injectors with no tune it did it twice, but im no longer running those and yes it was scary cause i was on a turn

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Sounds like an electrical Gremlin, I would suggest Unhooking battery, then turning on headlights to completely drain out all electrical activity in your system. Hopefully this will dump all negative issues the ECM might have learned and clear things up.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like an electrical Gremlin, I would suggest Unhooking battery, then turning on headlights to completely drain out all electrical activity in your system. Hopefully this will dump all negative issues the ECM might have learned and clear things up.
ok i'll try this, but i was speaking to my uncle and he said maybe my fuel filter is dirty, i havent changed it out in probably 20-30k miles

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
It's hard to say, sounds like an intermittent electrical problem. Check you ground wires. Block to chassis, all the grounds around the engine bay and check them all for continuity back to the batt neg terminal.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also my alarms been tripping out the last few days havent armed it, but would that maybe cause it too?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
also my alarms been tripping out the last few days havent armed it, but would that maybe cause it too?
Electronics (alarms especially) wig out when your battery gets weak. Get it load tested. Might be due to a die'n alternator. Hopefully this is your problem, if u have a problem, as they easy fixes.

Good luck, making a 10hr return trip myself tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I had that happen after hitting into 3rd hard in the Mach1. turns out the cable plate right off the ground cable of the battery was super loose. Its the part that joins all the small cables into the ground cable. looks like a flat oval shape with 2 bolts. The 2 bolds were loose and that made the power short out. Fine, I'll go snap a pic. Here ya go. it was loose on both my stangs

·
Registered
808 Posts
Those kind of terminal ends suck, but work. You can have crimp ones installed without taking the cables off, FYI.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Electronics (alarms especially) wig out when your battery gets weak. Get it load tested. Might be due to a die'n alternator. Hopefully this is your problem, if u have a problem, as they easy fixes.

Good luck, making a 10hr return trip myself tomorrow.
Hopefully it's just a dying alternator, I think it's still the stock one

I had that happen after hitting into 3rd hard in the Mach1. turns out the cable plate right off the ground cable of the battery was super loose. Its the part that joins all the small cables into the ground cable. looks like a flat oval shape with 2 bolts. The 2 bolds were loose and that made the power short out. Fine, I'll go snap a pic. Here ya go. it was loose on both my stangs
I had my battery moved to the back and don't have that type of connection anymore, but I'll check n see if its loose it did have alil acid build up around the negative terminal tho

·
Registered
865 Posts
Sounds like an alternator problem to me. My 6.0 diesel truck used to do it and reeplaced the alternator never a problem again

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
made it home no problem (knock on wood)
i'll have my alternator looked at

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
An easier way to do this is to disconnect both your positive and negative battery cables and hold them together (not on the battery!) for 10 second. This should drain all capacitive charge in the modules. It's also much easier on the battery too :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

·
Loud Exhaust Enthusiast
5,051 Posts
Buddy of mine had a similar issue but more severe. His car shut off multiple times. He had a short somewhere and he had to jump his battery to get juice. Your car started up again just fine?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Probably not, you would have other issues before just stalling. I agree with others. You probably have a loose ground or chafed wire somewhere.

hmm only wires i've taken off is the ground wire on the motor mount and moved my battery to the back and removed some speaker wire

An easier way to do this is to disconnect both your positive and negative battery cables and hold them together (not on the battery!) for 10 second. This should drain all capacitive charge in the modules. It's also much easier on the battery too :)

i'll try this too

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts

Easier way? holding the negative and positive together does not drain all the residual electrical charge out of the system the only way to ensure ALL the stored energy is expelled is to burn it through a source that draws out electrical current like the headlights which operate indipendently of the other electrical components yet cause a draw on the electrical systemen after the battery is unhooked. Holding the terminals together does not cause a draw ainy current out of the electrical system because they simply act as a connection point.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Easier way? holding the negative and positive together does not drain all the residual electrical charge out of the system the only way to ensure ALL the stored energy is expelled is to burn it through a source that draws out electrical current like the headlights which operate indipendently of the other electrical components yet cause a draw on the electrical systemen after the battery is unhooked. Holding the terminals together does not cause a draw ainy current out of the electrical system because they simply act as a connection point.
Not here to argue. It drains all capacitive charge in the modules. Its also known as a hard fault reset. Many manufactures suggest doing this when you have modules that are "stuck" or frozen. It will give the same result as draining the battery but with less stress being put on the battery from draining it and recharging it, especially if it's an older battery. I guess we can agree to disagree? :beer:

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
I didn't tell him to drain the battery just disconnect it so that causes no stress to the battery whatsoever. Disconnecting the battery and turning on the headlights just simply drains out all residual energy stored in the electrical lines so I'm not even sure what your talking about as far as stress tithe battery perhaps you should read the posts more closely before responding.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts