Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
every time i accelerate , i hear like a clicking noise/chattering..its annoying and i dont know what it is. i dont know where its comming from, the engine i guess? car has 98k on it. it sems to go away after i hit 3k, maybe because i cant hear it because of my exhaust

·
Registered
356 Posts
Exhaust leak is the first thing I would check... Check the connection from where the exhaust manifold (or headers) meet with your dual exhaust. Sometimes over time from the heating and cooling of the exhaust the bolts will come loose from that connection. Just get under there and tighten the bolts up and see if it goes away, if not look for anything like cracks that may be leaing in the exhaust. I had the same thing happen to me, and it only gets worse but it was just a couple loose bolts where the headers met the pipe

·
So say we all.
594 Posts
^^ Most likely. Do you smell exhaust when you sit with the windows down at stop lights or when you back up?

Do you have an after marker CAI installed? Mine did something similiar to yours when I installed it.

·
Free Mouth Hugs
9,037 Posts
heat shield?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the car has been doing this since i bought it a month ago. i went to the exhaust shop yesterday and they welded up everything, it still does it.

i didnt have the manifold or anything else checked out though

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i still do kinda smell exhaust but i was thinking since the pipes are new thats why, i need to have it looked at

·
Free Mouth Hugs
9,037 Posts
Do you hear it at idle?

·
So say we all.
594 Posts
i still do kinda smell exhaust but i was thinking since the pipes are new thats why, i need to have it looked at
A common problem, is the A/C condensation drop is direction over the exhaust. It can sometimes drip and pop on the hot metal and cause a crack. You can actually see it.

Pop the hood and look for the A/C drop hole and see if there's a crack.

·
Free Mouth Hugs
9,037 Posts
I don't know, hard to say without hearing it or being there to find it myself.

What about if you rev it while in park or neutral?

·
Free Mouth Hugs
9,037 Posts
Are you able to post a video of it?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I can tell you that I had this same problem and since it gets louder when you get faster that sounds just like an exhaust leak. Just check the connections where the bolts are... Just lift it up a little go under there and tighten the bolts where the manifold meets the pipe and tighten them as much as you can. I did not realize it was an easy problem like that until I just tightened them a little after you do that and it still sounds like that, just check the manifold for cracks

·
So say we all.
594 Posts
I can tell you that I had this same problem and since it gets louder when you get faster that sounds just like an exhaust leak.
Odds are this is your problem. I doubt your guy welded the area we're speaking off.

Go outa and pop the hood. Look do from the firewall, youll see a white little hold at the bottom right above the exhaust. Examine is for a crack and spray a bit of soupy water on it. Go around the block 2-3x and really get it up like 3000rpm. Then park, get out and check for bubbles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts