Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car died on me while driving, towed it back home and now begins figuring out what I need to fix, when I try to start it, you can hear the engine trying to start but it can't turn over and I know it can't be any alternator or battery problems cause those are both new and also I can hear the fuel pump prime as well to clear up anything, what should I check for? Oh and it's a 1995 GT.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
?

·
Registered
235 Posts
check yor terminals on your battery and try to charge the battery it does sound like it could be the battery or alt. just bc they are new doesnt mean they couldnt have gone bad

·
Registered
254 Posts
You need 3 things to get the car started, but I always start with fuel and spark. Verify you are getting spark, and then move on to fuel if spark is good. Just because you hear the fuel pump, doesn't mean you have enough fuel. Just for the hell of it, pop off the dizzy cap and see if your rotor is good...if you are saying the car won't turn over though, start with the obvious - the battery. Like mentioned above, new parts can also fail.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had that happen to me on my 94 vert. I was traveling at 60 mph and it just cut off! Finally had it towed to the Ford dealership and they had to replace the "stator" (part of the lower distributor). If Battery and alternator check out okay, then head toward looking at the stator. I'm sure you can find some info on this somewhere. Good luck.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Check first thing,check if you have spark.To do this,put a sparkplug in the wire that connects from the coil to dist. if it sparks,ur good on that part.. next check your timing maybe that little nut is loose and from driving it could of retarted it self/advanced itself...Fuel is usually never the problem but do a fuel pressure check,it should be at 30-35 prim and running its 35-40!??!?

·
Registered
134 Posts
You need 3 things to get the car started, but I always start with fuel and spark. Verify you are getting spark, and then move on to fuel if spark is good. Just because you hear the fuel pump, doesn't mean you have enough fuel. Just for the hell of it, pop off the dizzy cap and see if your rotor is good...if you are saying the car won't turn over though, start with the obvious - the battery. Like mentioned above, new parts can also fail.
+1

i always start with the spark, since its pretty obvious sometimes, but then move to fuel, and if they still isnt anything wrong, move on to air.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, a few weeks before this happened, it sometimes needed a tad bit of gas to start the car up, or took a long time to turn over, if that helps narrow down the problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
?

·
Registered
134 Posts
that almost sounds like a CPS problem.

check some codes, even if the CEL doesnt come on, it will still save codes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay update guys, so today I had a bit of time to mess around with the car and I tried to jump it just to see if she'll start up and she did, drove around for maybe 10 minutes? Than same problem, died out and wouldn't start back up, tried to jump it again but this time it didn't do the trick, I've figured out that I'm not getting any spark at all, does this conclude that I should replace the ignition coil? Maybe some new spark plugs since mine look to be factory!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
???

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Did you check the spark after driving it? or when it was cold. Cause to me it sounds like somethings failing because of the heat but I dunno, Just a suggestion

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you check the spark after driving it? or when it was cold. Cause to me it sounds like somethings failing because of the heat but I dunno, Just a suggestion

I checked both, when it was cold and hot, but the first time the car died on me it was after a really long drive on a sunny day too if that makes a difference? :confused:

·
Resident Headbanger
2,419 Posts
Sounds like it's either the PIP sensor or the TFI module that's going out. Both are sensitive to heat-soaking so you might want to have both tested to find out which one's the culprit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts