Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

my 96 GT with a transplanted PI motor pings a bit when for instance I take off in 2nd gear or roll through a stop sign in second. It only happens when the car is warmed up. My air/fuel shows around 15-1 when it happens. There is no CEL on. At 15-1 A/F I cant see why it would be happening. I was thinking that maybe the EGR valve/system may be the culprit but again at 15-1 I wouldnt think so. I do have a delta force tuner but im just running the stock 87 tune. The car doesnt run bad but it does lack power. It does have a very slight miss at idle. Maybe a bad plug or wire ?,vacuum leak ?

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
:withhomo, and you shouldnt really roll through stop signs :no

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree 15 to 1 is lean drop it down or switch to 89, pinging isnt good for the car. my superduty would do that at 2500 RPM at quarter throttle i bumped it to 89 and its good to go. you might want to check your coils as well. good luck.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Agreed 15-1 is lean but at low RPMS does it matter all that much. At WOT im at 13-1 .

LOL when I say roll through I mean a rolling stop .Prolly like most of us do that have manual trannies.

Thank's guys.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
15:1 at idle or very slight throttle is not lean. My wideband moves around between 14.5-15.5 all the time. I'd be worried if it was always at 16:1, but staying around 15:1 is fine. It's close enough to the 14.7 it should be at, plus gauges aren't 100% accurate. Do you hear the pinging every time you drive? I hear something every couple of weeks in 3rd gear around 2500rpms, but I don't think its detonation/pinging. I think its the plastic cowl rattling when it pops out occasinally.

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
He said its when he takes off in 2nd gear which is under higher load.

If riching it up dosnt clear it up id pull 1* of timing out

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I will check the coil packs. I can pull out 1* of timing globally which will effect part and full throttle and then I can add 1* of timing to full throttle in the mid and high RPM ranges so the only thing that will be effected in terms of timing will be low RPMS at part throttle,prolly give it a little fuel globally as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts