Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started smoking a little bit of blue smoke on start ups, it only does it once its set for an hour or more. It goes away within 5 secs. Any ideas?

·
Registered
291 Posts
time for a rebuild!.......thats the only thing i can think of, the reason it probably stops after a while is because your engine heats up and the rings expand just a hair from the heat, they are probably not GONE yet, but defiently sound like they are going bad.....do a compression test when the engine is cold

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
...Man mine does the same ...its been doing it for quite awhile... Still runs very very strong so I ignore it..it is a lil embarasing though... Mine will do it after idling for a period of time...but not always

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i started it up and then killed it like 3 seconds later. Then started it up later and it smoked. I let it sit for 2 hours and now its not doing it. It has never used a drop of oil. 113k miles. Runs very strong.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
my old conquest did this after idling for a bit....i got them replaced, 3 dollars in parts and 400 in labor...lol

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
sounds like bad valve seals to me also, quite common on these motors.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
bad valve seals

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
valve seals for sure!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I should just buy your heads anyway baker! Lmao..I got a patched sparkplug bad valve seal's and a possible oil leaking head gasket lmao

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
LOL... yeah sounds like you need them. Better hurry up and decide. Im getting close to thinking about throwing them on this stock shortblock for the hell of it. Hell, i already have them and i think my blower with a 3.00 pulley instead of 3.2 pulley and my blower cams will really love those heads. I think i would see a nice lil gain! hmmmmm....

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
*baker installs heads*

*baker gets dyno tune*

*baker picks on stock honda with fart can and 2ft aluminum wing*

*baker throws a rod and loses to honda*

*baker pays boostang to build him another motor*

*boostang gives baker killer deal*

Snuff said:D

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Try useing SeaFoam. Could be that the valves need to be cleaned. Couldn't hurt anyways. are you using synthetic oil or regular oil? If you are using synthetic oil try going to regular oil and see if that helps out.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
If you only see a puff of smoke once in a while and there is no obvious oil usage then I wouldn't worry about it. It getting cooler and condensation in the exhaust pipes can cause a little smoke. If it does it all the time then get a compression test. I don't recommend jumping into a several thousand dollar rebuild unit you have a lot more information.

Note: At one time a motor that used one quart of oil per 1000 miles was considered tight. Motors now days rarely use one quart between oil changes. Being old school, I don't even think adding a quart between oil changes (for me its every 5000 miles) is a problem. My car has 128,000 miles on it and uses about a half quart between oil changes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts