Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey this has been bothering me for about a month now and I just cannot figure it out. The car sputters and backfires thru the intake. When you put your foot to the floor it completely falls on its face and doesn't wanna go at all, but once you get it going from a stop you can go use about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle an go as fast as you want. I'm completely confused on this one. I know a big part of the problem was bad gas, but it's still having issues now. I've replaced o2 sensors, ignition module, fuel filter, and am running premium from a different gas station. I'm about to run injector cleaner because I believe it could be clogged injectors after seeing all the black junk that came out of the old fuel filter. Any other ideas from you all would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Speaking of talking about the TPS sensor in another thread on here...... Wouldn't hurt to check yours either. See 88Saleen's thread.
Oh sorry I forgot to mention the guy at autozone tested it an said it was a little high so it adjusted it an now it's perfectly calibrated, still not fixed.

·
Registered
325 Posts
What did he set it to? Don't trust those people there, they are no better than you or me. Did they use a voltmeter and pierce the wires going to your tps? I have a feeling they did something wrong, seriously. Check it yourself. My car did the exact same thing and switching the tps fixed it completely.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I haven't done that yet, but me and everybody I've talked too think it's something to do with fuel delivery and the guy at autozone said there wernt many sensors that had to do with that except the MAP sensor, MAF sensor, and another one I can't remember. I've cleaned the MAF sensor an I haven't driven it since.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What did he set it to? Don't trust those people there, they are no better than you or me. Did they use a voltmeter and pierce the wires going to your tps? I have a feeling they did something wrong, seriously. Check it yourself. My car did the exact same thing and switching the tps fixed it completely.
Yes he used the voltmeter and did that I don't know exactly what he set it too, but he's the mustang guy and he works with foxbodies. I hope he set it right.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Hell, you could have a plugged fuel filter or your fuel pump is shitting out. We're trying to help you with the easy stuff that you can check first. Maybe you can hire the autozone guy to fix it for you....

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Did he check it slowly through the whole sweep, or just open and closed? Go out to your car and run your codes already.... (as Fogged would say to me, lol)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cleaning a broken maf won't help if the maf is the problem. Do you want to argue our advice or continue to defend the autozone guy???
I'm definitely not arguing yalls advice I've learned a lot from this site, I'm just telling you what he said. I cleaned the MAF and if it's broken I wouldnt know.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Backfiring through the intake suggests wrong timing or valve events. Did this just happen out of nowhere?[/QUOTE

When I first got the car it didn't do it at all then I put some bolt-ons on and it started doin it every once in awhile and now it does it everytime I drive the car.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did he check it slowly through the whole sweep, or just open and closed? Go out to your car and run your codes already.... (as Fogged would say to me, lol)
yes the whole sweep

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
It takes less then 10 min to run your codes...get off the computer and go do it....report back what you find

1 - 20 of 28 Posts