Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been awhile since I posted in here. But im thinking maybe you guys can help me solve some issues.

I rebuilt the engine last winter and this summer it has pretty much sat all summer because I dont know whats wrong with it and I didnt have extra cash laying around to throw at it.

Heres my problem. I rebuilt the engine and it started and ran fine, just re ringed it and new gaskets and seals. Im thinking something electrical didnt get grounded or something. But it runs fine for awhile but idles slightly up and down. Then once your driving down the road and it warms up a bit and you push in the clutch to shift, it will die. I did some research and I found that I didnt have that orange wire for I guess the O2 sensor ground properly grounded to the bell housing bolt. So I grounded it properly and it seems to help a little bit but it still has an erratic idle.

Also sense the rebuilt it seems like the motor is "tight" maybe. Like its kind hard to start. The timing is on and everything. I think its the starter because its still the original starter. And im running BBK long tubes on it. Am I right in thinking that perhaps the starter has been cooked by the long tubes and needs to be replaced? Because after it gets hot it wont turn over, and I remember alot of people on here having problems with their LTs cooking their stock starters and had to go with a mini starter to solve the problem. I also need a new battery I know this.

It just doesnt seem right ever since I put the motor back in. It sat for two years with no motor in it too.

I would love to just wank the motor and start my full swap I want to do but I dont have anywhere near the cash for that and wont for awhile since we are buying a house here soon hopefully. Id just like it to be alright for the next 3-5 years or so until I can start my Termi swap on it.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I assume that you have a good ground from battery to block as well as battery to chassis. Starter is probably cooked like you're thinking. Easy rememdy is 94-95 starter since it's smaller and a 10 dollar heat wrap from a parts store.

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will for sure heat wrap the new one when I get it. Would it be worth it to spend the money on a mini starter or should I just get a 94-95 starter?

Also I know I have a good block ground but where exactly does the chassis ground mount? I assume I have that hooked up since it actually starts. Oh wait thats the one that grounds from the block to the firewall right?

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
If you look at Ebay, etc. the price is about the same, so I bought what claims to be a high torque mini starter. Whether or not it's just a ford factory replacement.... I'll never know. And yes, the ground from the block to firewall, not battery to chassis. I knew what I meant, but didn't type it right.

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I thought thats what you meant. I will be checking into all of this. Hopefully ill be able to order a new starter before spring. The mustang has been put away for winter anyway...

Id like to start my new edge interior swap. But I gotta find a wrecked one first....looks like I might have to go around to some junk yards.

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just never bought a new battery when I rebuilt the engine after it sat for three years. I just dropped in an old one I had laying around in the garage and charged it up. The battery I assume is junk. Its probably years old.

Does anyone know why it may feel "tight" as I explained. Normally that's a timing issue but my timing is on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts