Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car is a 03 gt with a manual valve body. Went to a higher stall converter and the car dies if put in 1st or reverse unless its warmed up well or i press the gas a little while going into gear. Tried cleaning the iac and theres no vacume leaks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I know dodges do the same thing when the trans is under filled with fluid. Did you verify the fluid is at the correct level?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car stalls when put into gear (auto)

I put 9 qts plus 1 in converter so 20 total. I could try adding some. It would cause rpm to drop so low in gear it stalla immediatly unless i give it a little gas before putting it in gear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the typos right now it has 10 qts. Low fluid would cause that? I will add more and see what happens.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
It shouldn't. I had a 4R70 car that I rebuilt and I filled it, then took it around the block to deaerate it. It was something like 3qts or so low. If anything it slipped more than it should have with low fluid.

Did this come on with the new converter?

That's really weird that it will stall in park. That almost makes me think that it's stuck in lockup or something. Have you checked to see if it wants to stall with the rear tires up in the air when you put it in gear?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It shouldn't. I had a 4R70 car that I rebuilt and I filled it, then took it around the block to deaerate it. It was something like 3qts or so low. If anything it slipped more than it should have with low fluid.

Did this come on with the new converter?

That's really weird that it will stall in park. That almost makes me think that it's stuck in lockup or something. Have you checked to see if it wants to stall with the rear tires up in the air when you put it in gear?
Yes but there was alot of changes made. Converter change, intake manifold change and shifter change. I have not tried to put it in first while car is jacked up. Previous converter didnt have lockup. If i raise the idle in my sct handheld in drive it will go in gear fine but then idle seems a bit high. It does not stall in park or neutral just when i engage 1st or reverse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I still have to add fluid fron the 10 qts ive put in 9 in the trans and 1 in converter and see if that helps any. Ive check for vac leaks and cannot find any.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
If it stalls in just 1st and reverse it sounds like the tcc is locking up when it shouldnt like wicked said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
If its running normally otherwise and stalls when coming from neutral or park......its an issue in the tune. Raising idle speed is a bandaid to take it out of those cells. To fix it right you'll need to get it tuned

·
Registered
790 Posts
If its running normally otherwise and stalls when coming from neutral or park......its an issue in the tune. Raising idle speed is a bandaid to take it out of those cells. To fix it right you'll need to get it tuned
I agree, I think it's an issue with engine inertia. I recently installed a circle D 4200 converter and have a similar issue. I raised my idle as a bandaid fix for now. It occasionally will stall when coming to a stop, more so if it's hot out. I also have cams so the idle can be a bit rough anyway so idling higher smooths it out a touch. Mines a 9 inch converter and it is significant the size/weight difference.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts