Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
ZYZZ Brah
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my car used to have a slight miss in 4th gear at low rpm (when i'm kinda lugging it but givin it a good amount of gas) now it's doing it in in 2nd gear also at high rpms (over 3500 or so).

Any of you guys experienced this? I'm going to change my spark plugs and fuel filter but i'm wondering if I should just go ahead and change my coilpacks also? AM is having a good sale on some so would it be beneficial to just change it all at once rather than doing the process of elimination game??

Car is a 2002 GT with 114k miles. Stock motor.

Accel Super Mustang Coil On Plug Kit (99-04 2V) 140032-8 - Free Shipping!

·
ZYZZ Brah
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was running fine with a very slight miss in 4th gear with no codes. I put on my O/R X and it brought up that code. I haven't cleared it yet so I'm going to see if they can pull up all the codes it may be throwing. MY CEL is on but as far as I know it's just for my O/R X. Hopefully theres another lingering

A friend of mine told me to use OEM coil-packs from Oreillys or a Ford dealer. He said they are better and last longer. Any truth to this?

·
I love to skydive
17,286 Posts
It was running fine with a very slight miss in 4th gear with no codes. I put on my O/R X and it brought up that code. I haven't cleared it yet so I'm going to see if they can pull up all the codes it may be throwing. MY CEL is on but as far as I know it's just for my O/R X. Hopefully theres another lingering

A friend of mine told me to use OEM coil-packs from Oreillys or a Ford dealer. He said they are better and last longer. Any truth to this?
A cel is a code.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
ZYZZ Brah
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know that. I'm just saying I don't know if there will be another code other than the code that was thrown from the install of the x pipe. Thats why I gotta check and see if there's multiple.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Did you use mil eliminators when you did your o/r x-pipe?

Sent from my LG-US670 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
C6Z's & ZL1's are afraid
3,444 Posts
i had the biggest and most annoying misfire of all time. (was cleared up w/ a bama tune oddly enough).

i'm running the Accel coils; can't say they are better than stock but i've had no problems w/ them and its been almost a year.

i say get some coils if they are on sale then change out the spark plugs, fuel filter and maybe retune car b4 putting in the coils. if it clears up return coils.

·
ZYZZ Brah
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fuuuu. motorcraft cops are expensive. i think im gonna chance it with the accels for about 50% cheaper. i dont plan on having this car much longer and i dont race it or anything so i just need something to get rid of this misfire. i would do the tune to see but another problem, i dont have a tuner. lol.

this weekend i'm gonna change the spark plugs to motorcrafts, put in the accel cops, and a motorcraft fuel filter. hopefully the issue is resolved.

·
C6Z's & ZL1's are afraid
3,444 Posts
i think jegs has the accel's for cheaper than AM. yea i bought 1 oem cop from the ford dealer... $80 something for just one lol and it didn't fix my problem, well neither did 8 new accel's either but cheaper than 8 oem's.

·
ZYZZ Brah
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm just gonna get them at O'Reillys. My local car club gets discounts there and I don't have to wait on shipping. Also can pick up my fuel filter at the same time.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have had MSD coils for 2 years now without any issues!
I went with MSD because it was cheaper than OEM, however before you spend money on coils, I would:
change plugs, change fuel filter, and check the boots on the coils for any cracks. Overtime the rubber on the boots get's hard and can crack, so check carefully, you can buy replacement boots instead of coils.

Lastly check the Intake manifold\gaskets, my 2002 needed a new intake\gasket around 125,000miles. The area around the #1 sparkplug\thermostat housing was warped allowing a little bit of coolant to leak into the #1 spark plug hole, and giving me a misfire. And yes my car is a 2002 that came with the aluminum crossover on the intake manifold, however it still failed!
My car never gave me a code\CEL, because my misfire was like yours, only did it when the car was lugging in 4th.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Don't forget that the spring from the coil to the plug can corrode and cause misfires as well. I'd clean and gap the plugs, wire brush the spring contacts and make sure that the spring makes good contact with the plug. I had to stretch my springs slightly when I did my plugs last due to a misfire because of corrosion and compressed springs. I had some oil seepage in there as well because of a valve cover gasket leak. Some rags with carb cleaner took care of that.

·
Purging my 100 shot
1,152 Posts
as far as coils go...think about it before you purchase.. do you wanna buy the accel set at half price and they last a little while or buy oem for 415 and last 60k+ miles.. choice is yours but you will spend the same amount of money buying 2 sets of accel in the amount of time the oems will last you. my accels lasted about 10k miles, summit brand lasted about 15k, the oems lasted me 15k and then they are now on a buddies car running strong.. i went to SBC

·
Resident asshole
1,694 Posts
Stock coils are far better than aftermarket. Don't waste your money.
As far as the misfire goes have you checked for leaks at the intake manifold. I had a dirty misfire and it ended up being a gasket leak from the intake manifold. It was because I washed the engine and the pressure from the hose ended up either cleaning gunk that was sealing it up or something.
Seafoamimg the intake may also cause a leak because of cleaning. Have you seafoamed it lately?
Anyways I'd start looking for leaks before I spent money on coils. Jmo

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Like some one already said, pull the boots and springs in the boots and check for corriosion, if never changed id say this is highly likly, I run the Accel COPs too and I love them but I got a deal on em and paid wanna say 189 for the whole set apposed to the 56$ a piece from oreillys

I got probably close to 15k miles on my accels with no problems

As far as the missing and codes, it has to register like 1000+ misses before it will throw a code and even then it still may not

1 - 20 of 35 Posts