Modded Mustang Forums banner

Car starts and shuts off right away

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Big_Jim 
#1 ·
Hi i have a 99 gt, and lately the car will start then shut off immedietely. Then i turn it over again and it starts. It does this alot but sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesnt. Ive been told that it might be the fuel pressure regulator sensor, but i havent bought it because its 100 dollars.. Any ideas what it could be? thanks

#5 ·
No codes coming up, no check engine light.. What it does, i turn it over.. starts and shuts off imedietely. turn it over again and starts fine. It only does it once then it starts.

And the enterata switch? im unfamiliar what that is.

And it runs great, so it wouldnt be a fuel pump

#6 ·
The inertia switch is located inside the trunk, behind the carpeted panel at the drivers side tail light.

My car was having a similar issue when I purchased it. After a ton of troubleshooting and repairs, the 2 parts that I replaced that fixed the issue were the camshaft position sensor (located behind the power steering reservoir), and the crankshaft position sensor (located behind the AC compressor, bottom front passenger side of engine)

That's what worked for me. It may or may not work for you. I'd start troubleshooting to make sure you have fuel, air, and spark before you go replacing any parts.

#8 ·
Have you tried turning the key half way or so to let everything come on for a couple seconds, then try turning over the motor? After I removed my pprv my car would act up similar that and the fix was to let the pump build up pressure first. You might have a fuel related issue.

#10 ·
My car didn't throw any codes at all.

The theft light could have something to do with it. The PATS system can be a pain in the ass to troubleshoot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.