1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here recently my car has been studdering at speed

it feels like its doing the same as my brothers 97 tj jeep

his was the idle air control sensor

i know our mustangs have one BUT what i dont know is where is the location and is it just a sensor thats easily noticable or is this thing like camoflauge

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the IAC should be right next to the throttle body.

Edit: Pic I stole from google images

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
why would you suspect a idle air control to create studdering at speed? think you will find problem elswhere imho
may sound dumb but the iac is what caused my brothers jeep to studder at speed so thats why

any opinions on what else it could be.

i use to not have mufflers on the car just the longtubes and x pipe the car has no cats but since i did put the maganflow mufflers on the car the studdering has decreased a bit

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
may sound dumb but the iac is what caused my brothers jeep to studder at speed so thats why

any opinions on what else it could be.

i use to not have mufflers on the car just the longtubes and x pipe the car has no cats but since i did put the maganflow mufflers on the car the studdering has decreased a bit
exh leaks, vac leaks? really hard to give ideas over internet without much more data/info...such as what do you mean by studdering?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
The IAC is located on the front of the plenum, upper intake, on the 4.6L. You should see the black rectangular box attached to it. You can also remove it and clean it with throttle body cleaner, or buy a new one.

The control could cause engine running problems if it sticks open. It normally only opens during the time the throttle body valve closes to allow the engine to idle properly. That's why it has a hose going from the IAC to the intake pipe.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
exh leaks, vac leaks? really hard to give ideas over internet without much more data/info...such as what do you mean by studdering?
like the motor will jerk

at one point i thought it was just the engine being at too low of an rpm for the gear it was in 1200 in 5th

so i downshifted to 4th car went up to about 2500 rpm still did the same

this is cruizing at 45mph

The IAC is located on the front of the plenum, upper intake, on the 4.6L. You should see the black rectangular box attached to it. You can also remove it and clean it with throttle body cleaner, or buy a new one.

The control could cause engine running problems if it sticks open. It normally only opens during the time the throttle body valve closes to allow the engine to idle properly. That's why it has a hose going from the IAC to the intake pipe.

thanks man i really appreciate it how much do new iac's run about

·
Registered
923 Posts
I doubt your IAC is the culprit. Do your rpms hang unusually if you push down on the clutch while driving? Like between gears? Because in my experience, that's the kinda symptom a bad IAC gives you. I'd check for a misfire. Since you changed your exhaust, is it possible that there's an 02 sensor issue now? I'm not an expert, just giving my 2 cents.

·
Cones = Yummy!
2,241 Posts
I have nothing to add.. I just wanted to post LOL for the title.. +1

·
Registered
923 Posts
also, kind sir, can you please tell us what a fifty muscle is?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts