Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I start up my car after its been sitting it cranks for about 20 seconds until it starts up. At first it sounds like the battery is dead but the cranks increase in speed and finally the car starts. It clicks for a good 5 seconds then you can hear it try to start then 4 then it trys to start then 3, ect ect untill it starts. No sputtering or stalling.

Im thinking it might be the fuel system? replacing fuel filter and sea foaming today to see if that helps

Anyone know what the issue might be or how to solve it?

·
Registered
224 Posts
hhmmmm....
i think i would take it to my local Ford dealer, leave it overnight and have them hook up their diagnostic machine when they start it. they can tell you fuel pressures and other items that could be very helpful to diagnose.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah i'd rather try and figure it out myself. Also my car smells like rottens eggs when I start it up and it takes a long time to turn over. I dont have cats and this is a different smell than just the exhuast. Maybe the battery is causing all of my trouble? Fuel filter seems to help but the problem is still there

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had a really bad exhaust smell - rotten eggs sort of smell and it was actually fixed when I changed my plugs (one was broken and misfiring).

..just an idea.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have new air filter, plugs, fuel filter, cleaned maf, cleaned iac , oil just changed. Im thinking it might be fuel since I think I filled up the night before and it started happening the next morning. I filled up a Sunoco 93, which is good gas. Putting some shell in tomorrow

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Put in a good 5 gallons of shell gas and it didnt help. The car will takes a good 15 seconds to start even if its turned off for 30 seconds. Everytime i start it up I smell the rotten egg smell, but it goes away after driving. The car runs fine great after it starts, it just sucks at starting.

·
Registered
245 Posts
hmm..the car runs fine after it STARTS, it just sucks at STARTing..dude i know this one umm..oh yeah maybe the STARTER!...LOL seriously could be actin up either that or the wire going to it.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
battery acid smells like eggs.... leaking battery?
ive tryed smelling the battery on start up but I think the smells coming from the exhuast.

hmm..the car runs fine after it STARTS, it just sucks at STARTing..dude i know this one umm..oh yeah maybe the STARTER!...LOL seriously could be actin up either that or the wire going to it.
Haha Thats what im thinking but its clicking rapidly when I turn the key, and the starter wouldn't make the car smell like rotten eggs. Ill check that out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts