Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 98GT and when i start it up about 85% of the time it takes 5+ seconds to turn over. sometimes it starts right away in the morning and it always starts right away if i had been driving it for a little bit before. it has MSD ignition and i noticed some of the clips that hold the wires on are broken but they stay on.

also in usually 3-5 ( at least when it's noticeable ) it kinda hesitates over and over again until it gets to speed or i let off the gas some. my other mods are in my sig if they matter. not sure if this has to do with the other problem or not.

Dan

·
Will Eat Spam From Your Butt
6,807 Posts
You running an auto?

Could be your DCC, mine hesitated like that, I tried to ignore it and then my whole tranny blew up on me.

I wonder if this is a common problem for the '98's 4R70W??? This is I think the third guy I've seen with similar problems....

If you don't think it's that I would check MAF, IAC, start with the stuff thats cheap/easy to fix.

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
Dstuck where do you live?

Clean your mass air sensor. Seafoam your motor (especially the tank) or run some injector cleaner through your car.

Its getting colder out which is causing you car to need to run richer. But if you have a dirty mass air or injectors your car may accualy be running lean which can cause hesitation and problems starting in the cold.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i live in California. well mine starts better sometimes in the morning when it's cold... hahaha. and my car is a manual. what should i use to clean the MAF and stuff? and i've heard of seafoam making cars worse before...

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
Well your car runs better when cold because it runs richer. When the car heats up it leans itself out and thats probobly where your getting the issue.

Seafoam is an iffy topic. Iv used it on 3 cars and never had an issue. If your skeptical just grab some injector cleaner.

But yea from what it sounds like you have a issue with your fuel system being dirty and not putting out enough fuel.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright well thanks man. ill try that. and so the injector cleaner i just put it in the gas?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
alright well thanks man. ill try that. and so the injector cleaner i just put it in the gas?
yup. and the MAF cleaner comes in an aerosol can much like carb cleaner or brake parts cleaner. take the maf sensor out and spray it down till the gunk washes off

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
yup. and the MAF cleaner comes in an aerosol can much like carb cleaner or brake parts cleaner. take the maf sensor out and spray it down till the gunk washes off

Yea Autozone and every other store has it. Just pour it into the tank. If you want to go radical go to a dealer and ask for a injector cleaning. Or if you want to go big get 24lbs with a matching mass air...

How many miles does the car have?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alright cool thanks man. the car just kit 107k

·
Registered
107 Posts
Does your fuel pump whine pretty loud? My car started to have a hard time starting when it's been sitting for awhile but started easy when it's just been driven. My fuel pump just quit one day. After I replaced it, it starts like a champ.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
theres a ton of things that can cause hard starts and hesitation
did you check your spark plugs? wires? ever change the fuel filter?
do a fuel pressure check, low compression also causes hard starts and hesitation as well. If it hasnt been tuned up i would do that first, also dirty injectors will do that. As the other guys said check the simple things first.
Its a bitch i know.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah.. sounds like im gonna be busy. gonna just have to do little by little till i get more $$$

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
a decent tune up never hurt no one....

spark plugs, new filters, new wires, and new battery if you haven't replaced it in the last 2-3 years......

all adds up to around 200 if you take the time to do everything yourself.......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.