Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 2002 mustang and today it started cutting off while driving.

While driving the car over all the car has lost a lot of acceleration/power (barely get over 2000rpm). When going up hills even slight hills the car has a hard time making it up

While driving the car barely makes it over 2000rpm, it also jerks back and sometimes grayish/white smoke comes from the exhaust.....It eventually will cut off and I have to hold the ignition over for it to crank back up.

I also heard a knocking sound under the car while driving

The engine light did come on the codes are:
P0401 - Too little EGR Flow
p0402 - Excessive EGR Flow

Could the EGR or exhaust leak cause these problems?

·
Registered
40 Posts
You forgot to mention a few details...
how many miles on car?
any mods?
maintenance/work done before this happened if any?

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
Yep he did. Here's what I said the last time.

Your EGR valve is stuck open or staying open.

On the front of your engine not far from the EGR is a black canister with a vacuum line going to the top of the EGR. Unhook the vacuum line from that and see if the problem goes away. If it does replace that actuator. I can't remember the exact name. If that doesn't solve your issue pull a vacuum on the EGR to make sure that it opens and closes.

If the EGR is good and the actuator is ok, replace the DPFE. 98% of the time it's the DPFE.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Honestly it's not difficult to make either. I just cut the arm off the piece after I took it off. Then traced the piece and cut a piece of sheet metal and cut out two gaskets and placed one between the sheet metal and the old EGR piece and then used the other piece as the actual gasket on the engine. As for the copper piping I just removed it and used a brass plumbing flare cap to cap off the exhaust bung.

If you can get a delete kit in a timely manner and for cheap go for it but otherwise its an easy delete.

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
Why would you delete the system? It's just as easy to fix the problem.

Deleting the EGR increases emissions as well as decreases your gas mileage. There is really no winning point to deleting the EGR.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I had to delete mine when I did my windstar swap. deleting it had absolutely no negative affect on my emissions nor did it hurt my mileage I still get 31-33mpg. Now I don't have exhaust gases being recirculated into my engine causing rediculous carbon buildup. Nor is it diluting my air fuel ratio. just clean air mixed with fuel now. not to mention it gave the engine bay a cleaner look. Not to mention fixing a broken egr is more expensive than just deleting it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You forgot to mention a few details...
how many miles on car?
any mods?
maintenance/work done before this happened if any?
Theres about 87k miles

The only mods were cold air intake & changed mufflers

No other maintenance or anything before

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yep he did. Here's what I said the last time.

Your EGR valve is stuck open or staying open.

On the front of your engine not far from the EGR is a black canister with a vacuum line going to the top of the EGR. Unhook the vacuum line from that and see if the problem goes away. If it does replace that actuator. I can't remember the exact name. If that doesn't solve your issue pull a vacuum on the EGR to make sure that it opens and closes.

If the EGR is good and the actuator is ok, replace the DPFE. 98% of the time it's the DPFE.
I did post about a week ago... But I've had the EGR valve and everything changed out.

I also unhooked the vacuum line like you suggested and the problem still exist... The DPFE was also replaced

I've had the exhaust checked for leaks...the shop says they hear a leak but they are unable to find it

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
Are you still getting the same codes as before?

I had to delete mine when I did my windstar swap. deleting it had absolutely no negative affect on my emissions nor did it hurt my mileage I still get 31-33mpg. Now I don't have exhaust gases being recirculated into my engine causing rediculous carbon buildup. Nor is it diluting my air fuel ratio. just clean air mixed with fuel now. not to mention it gave the engine bay a cleaner look. Not to mention fixing a broken egr is more expensive than just deleting it.
True it is more expensive but if you have to pass emissions it could be more costly to get a tuner and turn off the light.

Also the EGR is not open all the time, only under certain conditions does it open. Such as low engine load highway driving. From what you've stated it seems as though you think the EGR is open at least a little bit all the time. You can't say it had no negative effect on your emissions unless you actually measured them before and after. It may be minimal but it's still an effect.

I'm not trying to argue but EGR's were invented because of CAFE laws and they wouldn't be on our cars unless they worked.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It's your damn DPFE sensor. It's less than $20 (if I remember correctly), and takes like 3 min to replace.

You don't even need any tools. Un-clip wires, pull off of the two small hoses it's on, put new one on the two hoses it is on......re-clip the wire connector.

Done, done done. If you do a search for code 0401 you'd find out that the DPFE sensor in this cars is a VERY COMMON problem.

Hell, when i bought my 2001 the CIL was on (one reason I got it cheep, b/c you can't pass smog w/ CIL on)....but I knew it was something simple and very inexpensive to fix. And after a $20 DPFE sensor, light off, pass smog w/ flying colors.

Just replace the damn sensor

·
Registered
185 Posts
And just saw your response about the shop replacing your DPFE.....are you SURE they did.

I don't trust ***most*** shops worth S*i#!! Do a search for those two codes and the 2001-2004 stangs. 9 out of 10 times those codes mean DPFE is bad (although, when you look up the code it says ERG system....but it is really just the sensor).

And true, you should just check all of the hoses connecting DPFE/ERG system yourself. It doesn't take being a mechanic to find a broken/un-connected/rotted hose and replace it yourself.

And while you are at it....spend the $20 for a shop manual. Those things are worth MORE than their weight in gold....they could save you Thousands in repair costs and also let you know just about everything about your car, and tell you how to fix it step-by-step and with pictures and diagrams. First thing I do when i get a new car is buy the shop manual.

Good luck bro! I'd bet you that it turns out to be someting very easy, very cheap, and very simple to fix! And trouble shoot yourself...you may learn a thing or two along the way. Don't worry about it...just never force anything, and just take good notes/pics/etc when doing things. Replacement is mostly the reverse of removel.

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
Theres about 87k miles

The only mods were cold air intake & changed mufflers

No other maintenance or anything before
I read in an article about S197's that if you get an intake and don't tune for it, the car could have problems such as turning off. But that was for an s197 so it's kinda different.

:tomato

1 - 20 of 26 Posts