Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys...so today a buddy of mine came down and took my car for a spin...its a 2000 mustang gt (manual tranny)...so what happened is the shift arm has 2 bolts...one of the bolts broke off somehow?!? and its very sloppy...it moves all the way up and down but wont go into gear...we opened it up and saw the upper bolt broke off but the lower bolt was still on....is this a major problem? should i just put another bolt on or should i take this to a mechanic?!? or is it something else? any input would be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Replace the bolt--however IIRC those are M8x1.25 grade 10.9 bolts!

The shear strength of those bolts is more than 5000 pounds, did it break or fall out?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was literally broken about 3/4 of an inch from the tip...i will take a pic in the morning for sure...when we took apart the fascia the bolt was lying there and the other piece still attached lol

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just bought a new bolt same as the stock one and put it in...fixed the problem...scared the life out of me but thank god it wasnt anything major....thanks for the input bro :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Replace the bolt--however IIRC those are M8x1.25 grade 10.9 bolts!

The shear strength of those bolts is more than 5000 pounds, did it break or fall out?
prolly been replaced at one point...unless his friend is derek poundstone, but he doesn't own a mustang...

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Yeah, it must have been some mild steel grade 0.0 bolt for it to shear--or some twit installed it with an impact wrench and stretched it to just a bit south on the breaking point...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts