Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mustang 2000 v6. One day my car decided not to start up anymore. At first it made a grinding sound, figured it was the starter. I'm a college student so I didn't have the resources to fix it at the time, I took the battery off and let it sit there for a good week or so. My parents came to visit me and my father wanted to fix the car, turns out since I hadn't had my car in a while I lost the key. We called a locksmith to make a new key. After he made the key we tried it on the car just to show my father the problem with the car and what do you know the car magically turned on. Parents left home thinking it was just the chip in the battery, I did too. Day later I drove the car to the gas station and when I was leaving it decided not to turn on anymore, and I was using a new key. Now it doesn't even make a grinding noise. I get on the car and everything seems fine, lights are on, stereo turns on and everything. I turn the key and everything shuts off and the theft light blinks and makes a clicking noise. What could be the problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me go give that a try. Have to drive to the gas station, it is still there. Will keep you informed if it works or not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You sir are a genius. I unplugged it for exactly 15 mins and it turned on fine. Got home and tried it again and it does the same. Would you know what causes this or how to fix it properly?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I retract. I don't know how to fix it, but if it doesn't start tomorrow morning, it could very well be an alternator or battery.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I got an 03 and the key is chipped so thats likely why it is giving you problems. Unhooking the battery probably resets everything temporarily so that right afterwards you can start the car but not a while later. Im not sure if its possible to bypass the theft system (wouldnt be a great anti theft system if you could...) But those keys are expensive so you might rather want to find that key. Without the original key Im not even sure if they can make a new chipped key, might have to replace the whole ignition.

If you do find the original key you can try something I heard about. The chipped key, supposedly, only has to be within a few feet of the ignition. So you can keep the original key in the glove box or somewhere nearby but then use the new, non, chipped in the ignition. That way you never have to worry about this again!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I got an 03 and the key is chipped so thats likely why it is giving you problems. Unhooking the battery probably resets everything temporarily so that right afterwards you can start the car but not a while later. Im not sure if its possible to bypass the theft system (wouldnt be a great anti theft system if you could...) But those keys are expensive so you might rather want to find that key. Without the original key Im not even sure if they can make a new chipped key, might have to replace the whole ignition.

If you do find the original key you can try something I heard about. The chipped key, supposedly, only has to be within a few feet of the ignition. So you can keep the original key in the glove box or somewhere nearby but then use the new, non, chipped in the ignition. That way you never have to worry about this again!
im pretty sure the dealership can plug into the cars computer to program a new key. at least thats what they did for my dads jetta which was a 01

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Ah well thats good then! But those keys are still stupid expensive for a little piece of metal and plastic (About $60 I believe) which sucks for LRJ. But at least you dont have to get the ignition or anything replaced. I think certain locksmiths can do it even for cheaper than the dealership, could call around the local ones and find one with the tech to do it if you feel like saving ~$20-30.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did have a new key. Locksmith charged me $130 for it, it has a chip. After unplugging the battery I tried the new key and it turned on. Got home tried it again, using the new key and nada (nothing).

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
$130?!??! It would have been cheaper to bring it to the stupid dealership. (Edit:Well he did have to make a new key, not copy it so ignore that) Only thing I could say was maybe the locksmiths key is faulty/he didnt do a good job programming it. He might try and program you a new one for free, who knows. But before you do that I would try these:

Another thing you could possibly try is pulling the fuse for the theft system out (Not sure which one that would be though, sorry.) It might be that the fuse is blown somewhere and giving the theft system trouble. My THEFT light blinks all the time when the cars not running, are you sure its blinking any more/rapidly than normal? Might not be the theft system at all.

Are the interior lights coming on at all when you put the key in?

Try jump starting it? Could be a short somewhere killing the battery slowly. (My old Mach radio did this) If I leave the ignition on or something overnight when I turn the key it just makes a click and doesnt turn over at all.

Edit: My damned memory, reread your first message and I see your lights and radio comes on fine so ignore the last two questions

·
R.A.D
5,413 Posts
Don't remove the fuse, it will cause the same problem. On another note, try turning the alarm on valet mode. The red blinking source under the dash. there is a button behind it hold it down for a few seconds. That should help

1 - 17 of 17 Posts