Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm having problems with my 2001 V6 Mustang. The car wont start. The car cranks up perfectly fine, it just doesn't catch. The battery is fully charged. I checked for spark via pulling off one of the boots and putting a screwdriver in the boot with my elbow to the negative battery terminal while my dad tried to start the car--there's definately spark...I got a couple of good shocks.

This is leading me to believe that I might have a clogged fuel filter or god forbid I may need to replace my fuel pump

Ive never replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pump. How do you depressurize the fuel lines? Where should I look? I can't simply depressurize by starting the car and pulling the fuse b/c it wont start to begin with. Is there a relief valve or nipple? I'm hoping that its just a filter because I can hear my fuel pump priming. Also, if I need to replace the fuel filter, should the new filter come with new washers for the banjo bolts? If they don't what size washers should I be looking for?

Please help another fellow Mustang owner out.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Safud: MM's Resident Hadji
5,242 Posts
EXACT Same thing just happened to me. I changed the fuel filter and no luck...Had to change the fuel pump and hasn't had the problem since.

Also...If you just want to get it started, spray some starter fluid in your intake...It'll start up.

To depressurize the fuel line you go to you engine bay and look on the drivers side fuel rail closest to the radiator. There will be a little Schrader valve there (same thing as on your tires). Just use a screwdriver or something to push in the stem and release the fuel

·
Registered
281 Posts
maybe you just need to reset the fuel system safety switch in the trunk...

sometimes a simple little thing is the culprit

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
maybe you just need to reset the fuel system safety switch in the trunk...

sometimes a simple little thing is the culprit
You can just unplug the electrical connector from the safety switch to depressurize the fuel system. Do that and then start the car, it'll die on its own once it runs the remaining fuel out. The fuel filter is right in front of the fuel tank, connected by a gator clamp and on either side to the fuel lines. You'll need a line disconnect tool (few dollars at any auto parts store, universal kits have 5 or so different pieces). Disconnect the lines with that, take the clamp off, and you can pull it off. It'll spill some fuel, but shouldn't be too much. Just do the opposite to install the new one. Start there before trying the pump.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
FAIL. Next time I'll read the entire post before posting, I missed the bottom paragraph.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem solved....it was the fuel pump. Went to NAPA and got a Bosch fuel pump for my car (better price than Ford Motorcraft)...and BOSCH is great quality (OEM for BMWs). Car runs like a champ and Im actually getting better fuel economy.

·
Safud: MM's Resident Hadji
5,242 Posts
Problem solved....it was the fuel pump. Went to NAPA and got a Bosch fuel pump for my car (better price than Ford Motorcraft)...and BOSCH is great quality (OEM for BMWs). Car runs like a champ and Im actually getting better fuel economy.
I knew it was the same problem as me haha...Glad to hear you got it working

1 - 7 of 7 Posts