Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i went to start my car a little while ago, but it WILL NOT start. It turns over just fine, but never fires. This happend to me once before, but eventualy started. I have fuel pressure so i have no clue why it wont start. It 20* outside, but it started just fine 5 other times today. My batery is almost dead from trying to start it. Please help!

·
Registered
26 Posts
if you have fuel pressure than i would go straight to checking spark. pull a plug and hold it to ground (the cylinder head) and check to see if you can see the spark jumping the gap. probably your coil intermittantly opening up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
the ign coil is what makes all the high voltage electricity needed to jump the spark plug gap. the distributor and wires and plugs are just a means to deliver the spark to the cylinder. the coil is where the spark originates. it is a 2 sets of coiled wires primary and secondary circuits. a magnetic field is built up in one of the coils and then collapsed this sends a very high voltage surge of power through the other circuit (to the distributor and plugs). when i say there could be a int. open in the coil i mean one of the wires might be broken causing the spark to jump (and discharge its energy) within the coil (and not across the plug gap) ..... replace the coil.

·
Registered
26 Posts
if you arent confident in doing a better job of diagnosis coils are fairly cheap so u could just throw one in and see if that fixes it. personally i would continue to diagnose tho.

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, if it is the coil, will a stock coil work? Ive got a mallory right now, not sure which one, ill check tomorrow. Wil a stock one work with the mods i have? I dont know much about ignition systems

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
yes

·
In over my head
1,116 Posts
Again, im sorry for stupid questions, just trying to learn
That's a big point of contention on this forum, a lot of people go back and forth on whether upgrading ignition components is worthwhile. A few of the common knowledgeable names will tell you that 99% of cars on this forum don't require upgraded components.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
How do you trouble shoot the ignition switch module?
Use an electical meter or test light to make sure it's sending power out to the ignition.

Again, im sorry for stupid questions, just trying to learn
Better, consistant spark. Depending on how stock you are, it may not even be necessary. But when you increase compression, boost your motor, or spray it for instance, you can usually benefit from a stronger spark.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts