Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help Please!

My 3.8 liter 1995 mustang wont start if its below 60 degrees outside. It will only start with starting fluid when its over 60 out. After it starts it runs fine. after warming up it will start without starting fluid most times. I have tried the following:
replaced fuel pump
replaced maf sensor
replaced engine coolant temp sensor
replaced fuel filter
replaced fuel pressure regulator
I am at a loss. I cant afford to keep throwing parts it this that don't help. I need to be able to prove the fix will work before I spend anymore money.
This has been going on for almost a year now (fortunately its my spare car and not primary)and my wife wants me to just give up and sell it. but I bought it new and have had it for 16 years now. I don't want to sell it.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Maybe a weak starter or starter solenoid? It has to be something ignition if it runs fine after it starts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It turns over fine. It will crank indefinitely. Within reason. I have also replaced the cam position sensor,crank position sensor and coil pack. I was thinking something in the fuel delivery system because it will start with starting fluid. But I am out of ideas.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
are your injectors good? I really dont have any concrete ideas what it is so I'm basically throwing stuff at you now too.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Not 100% sure how you check them so I dont want to say something dumb. I'd wait till someone that has more knowledge with them chimes in

·
Registered
461 Posts
what weight oil are you running? Do you have the ability/tools to disassemble the block? If so open her up and make sure you are not suffering from an expanded ring. It sounds like it needs the extra help to get going but once its in motion it has the power to stay in motion.

My old pick-up had this issue and it turned out after dumping 2k into it and no fix, when I opened the block to replace a gasket I saw the piston was slightly seized. Might be your issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm Well I don't think I am going to go quite that far right now. I believe it has straight 30 weight in it right now. It turns over fine. Its like it gets no fuel when its cold. What would affect that?

·
Registered
461 Posts
fuel rail/lines/injectors/regulator Do you have a Haynes repair manual? It'll help you a lot. Did you check your electrical connections between the pump and everything? it sounds like you replaced anything that be causing this issue. Only thing I can think of is ignition control or ECM?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been running straight 30 weight in all my cars during the summer for nearly 30 years. Ive never had a problem before.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I've been running straight 30 weight in all my cars during the summer for nearly 30 years. Ive never had a problem before.
well if it works it works but i personally would never run something that was straight 30 because it will put alot of stress on your engine at startup. it could actually be why your engine doesn't wanna run until its warmed up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yesterday I filled it up and added fuel injector cleaner. I ran it 150 miles on the interstate. it restarted fine. This morning it wont start without starting fluid again. it ran great and restarted fine yesterday. after its initial start with starting fluid.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts