Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend has a 99 v6 and we put a sound system in here car.. NOW it wont start.. when we opened the hood first thing we found was that the battery terminals were all corroded so we rewired them all and put new terminals, i double checked these and they are all correct.. i check all the fuses, and the starter when you turn the key fires up but the engine doesn't turn.. any ideas?

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
sorry but this doesnt make sense
when you turn the car on it fires up but doesnt turn?
it has to turn
if your car starts and shortly dies
its your alternator most likey or a short in your system somewhere drawing to much power

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
My girlfriend has a 99 v6 and we put a sound system in here car.. NOW it wont start.. when we opened the hood first thing we found was that the battery terminals were all corroded so we rewired them all and put new terminals, i double checked these and they are all correct.. i check all the fuses, and the starter when you turn the key fires up but the engine doesn't turn.. any ideas?
If you mean the starter turns but the engine doesn't, the problem is most likely in the starter, and not related to the music system install.

More likely the battery is discharged, which will cause the starter to click or chatter, but not crank the engine. I would have the battery charged and make sure you have good connections at the terminals.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
If you mean the starter turns but the engine doesn't, the problem is most likely in the starter, and not related to the music system install.

More likely the battery is discharged, which will cause the starter to click or chatter, but not crank the engine. I would have the battery charged and make sure you have good connections at the terminals.
if the car turns on its impossible for it to be the starter
if it turns on and shortly dies it is deffinitly related to something other then the starter

but really i have no idea if he means the lights and car turn on or what? he said it fires up?
but doesnt turn?:confused:

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
you blew the 100 amp ignition fuse is what it sounds like,

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if the car turns on its impossible for it to be the starter
if it turns on and shortly dies it is deffinitly related to something other then the starter

but really i have no idea if he means the lights and car turn on or what? he said it fires up?
but doesnt turn?:confused:

sorry i was EXTREMELY tired and didnt see what i was typing lol.. I meant it was making a "click" sound but it ended up being her battery.. just to be safe i re-ran the ground wires and power wires.

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you did hook up an accessory wire to the head unit so that its not constantly draining the battery right?
:D I wouldn't touch a car without knowing simple things like that first lol

the main thing that caused my issues was that the charger i was using was fried and i didnt know that. the reason i didnt think it was the battery is because of the charger having the "full charge" light.

the MAIN factor of all of my confusions is that i was working on it from 2am-4pm =[

1 - 9 of 9 Posts