Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What connectors or wiring circuts do I not need to use to make the swap to carb in a 91 lx..........Does painless make a harness for this? I want to weld up the holes not needed and really clean up the engine bay before paint it .........thanks also is a 69 351 a 9.2 or 9.5? it's a 9.2 right?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks again man you have influenced my build more than any other person on this site I appreciate the great advice......I bought a 69' 351 windsor block today....... I have heard from a reliabe source "Darrel" that they are 700 plus capable so gt 40's jay allen cam torker II 750 or 850 puddle dumper ans two stages of supprise for ls1's and zo6's I could put those yates heads and victor 351 y intake I bought last month on it if I wanted to but those are for the "one day" race car that is draining my bank account every week.........Thanks again

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Yeah, stick the yates heads on there and go with a solid roller. You'll be happy, GT40s are going to be restrictive on a 351.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gonna go with the 40's because I want to have a very mild 350 to 400 hp sleeper ..........but when the gas is all on it's gonna shock the $#!+ out of who ever is causing me to shoot it!! went and picked up the 69' block earlier and man do I want to hurry this prodject up but all in good time I'm not gonna rush anything Thanks for the great advise and help

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Well, the lighting motor with 351w and roller cam had GT-40s and intake on it and it was rated at 240 hp... Something to think about. Probably an underrating, but still the GT-40 heads are barely adequate for a 302, let alone a 351.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will have them ported and polished with a 3 angle walve job but I really want a stock looking carbed motor do you think that will be enough for 300 to 400 on a 408 with a custom cam single plane and a great motor and nitrous tune?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
There is no way Gt-40s will work on a 408. It'll be choked. It'll make 300 hp and 400 ft/lbs of torque at 2000 rpms. Gonna need a serious port job to get the GT-40s to flow enough. With the amount of money you'll spend, it would be better to just buy heads that match. There are iron heads that flow enough to keep up with a 408.

·
Banned
3,784 Posts
it would make over 300 easy. But the motor would run out of useful RPMs very fast. If you are going to spend money on a custom cam, then spend more money on PP and valve job GT40 heads, you could buy used aluminums...But there are better iron heads out there that will give you the stock look

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll keep those in mind when I get there...........haven't rulled out using the yates but with the extensive porting from nascar I figured they may flow to much a 69 block is a 9.2 deck correct? I have a 9.2 edelbrock victor 351 y intake but the spacer I have will work on a 9.5 deck I may use these for a while ?? confused use the money I've already spent or spend more?

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
What connectors or wiring circuts do I not need to use to make the swap to carb in a 91 lx..........Does painless make a harness for this? I want to weld up the holes not needed and really clean up the engine bay before paint it .........thanks also is a 69 351 a 9.2 or 9.5? it's a 9.2 right?
You don't need any special harness. Its fairly easy to wire up. What do you need to know?

All 351W are 9.5 deck except the 1969 which is a 9.48.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts