Modded Mustang Forums banner

Carbon Fiber Hood Woes

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Novanutcase 
#1 ·
Today I was cleaning my car and I noticed the VIS Carbon Fiber 2000 R Cobra hood that I bought 3 weeks ago has some majoring lifting of the clear coat over the R hood's ribs in the center raised section. I know this wasn't there when I bought the hood. It appears that there are raised runs in the clear, but I'm not sure what caused them to form. Maybe the heat from the engine? I'm a little worried what VIS will say as I have drilled 3 holes on each side for the non factory hood struts to receive pop rivets. This is a very expensive hood so I'm hoping its a no hassle exchange, although I want to know what caused this, so it doesn't reocur.

#5 ·
I've got a buddy with an RSX with a carbon hood and i've seen him do it. The clear-coat usually flakes off due to moisture and sunlight. Just like the clear-coat flakes off of the rest of the car over time. Not to be negative, but i dont think VIS will replace it..it's worth a try though...good luck

#10 ·
Update: Good news...VIS exchanged the hood no questions asked last week. It took me while to get this done because they are only open during the week when I work and they are over an hour away from me. Plus logistics of removing the hood and finding a truck to do it. I was a little worried because I drilled holes in it for the non factory hydralic hood stays that I installed, but it didn't matter to them, which was very cool.

#13 ·
Did you deal with VIS directly or was it a dealer? Where did you originally purchase it from? Im looking into gettin their cowl hood and it would be nice to know they are willing to back their products.
I dealt directly with VIS as they are near me. I also supplied a resale # and got the hood for under $500.

#15 ·
My .02

The difference in weight, depending on the manufacturer, is not all that much between fiberglass and carbon fiber. The difference is in the construction of the raw material whereas fiberglass is woven much looser than carbon fiber and the fibers aren't as strong so carbon fiber components are stronger than fiberglass for that reason along with the stornger fiber and weave pattern enabling less of the raw material having to be utilized to get the same strength.

GS, Good to hear that VIS stood behind their product!

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.