Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really getting into detailing, recently i've purchased about 200 dollars worth of products, they're OTC and not high quality like I've heard CG and Adam's products are. however I'm looking for advice from experienced detailers who have been doing this for awhile. Any help, suggestions, tips, anything is welcome.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
My suggestion is to read the Stickies. All of them. A lot of us took the time to write them to help people exactly like you that are looking for information. Take advantage of it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
^^^ those stickies are what guided me to make all my purchases! not to mention helped me so much when trying to figure out how exactly to detail correctly!!!!!

thanks!!

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
We have a lot of good advice in those stickies.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
My suggestion is to read the Stickies. All of them. A lot of us took the time to write them to help people exactly like you that are looking for information. Take advantage of it.
+1000000 Michael:D

We all put alot of time doing those write ups so take advantage of it :)

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mean the past several weeks i've been researching my ass off about this stuff. but i've got a lot of beginner questions

what are the top 3 brands to use?

how do you properly clean dirty mf cloths, 100% cotton terry towels, brushes, sponges, pads

how can you polish and wax in the sun? dont you do one section at a time and then wipe off?

what are common things people do, that you shouldnt do

what are uncommon things people do, that you should do

opinions on turtlewax, black magic, maguiars, CG, Adam's, or any other companys/products

is there anytime you can't claybar? also isn't it up down left right motions and not circular? dont you just lube and kneed clay in order to eliminate any potential problems

what are some necessary tools to detail

average time to effectively detail

average price for a good detail

looking back on what your detailing career what have you learned so far that you wish you knew when you started

i have a ton of other questions but i'll stop there, i really appreciate any feedback that's given

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
I mean the past several weeks i've been researching my ass off about this stuff. but i've got a lot of beginner questions

This is a loaded question. There are not any "top 3". It's all user perfence, and differnet brands work for different people. If I HAD to pic three.... Chemical Guys, Meguairs, and Mothers

how do you properly clean dirty mf cloths, 100% cotton terry towels, brushes, sponges, pads

Microfiber Detergent. I would imagin this was covered somewhere in the stikies. For brushes, a good rinse should normally do it. Or use a bucket of soapy water to wash them with, followed by a rinse. Always wash your good MF/Applicators seperate from everything else. Do not wash Paint MFs with Wheel MFs, ect.

how can you polish and wax in the sun? dont you do one section at a time and then wipe off?

I'm not 100% sure on a good method for this. I would avoid waxing the the sun regardless. Every product is different on application in or out of the sun.

Another loaded question. Washing in circles... don't. Washing with Dawn, don't.... hmm

Really hard to respond to these kinda questions hehe.

opinions on turtlewax, black magic, maguiars, CG, Adam's, or any other companys/products

Good: CG, Meguair's, Adam's. ----- Bad: Turtle Wax ----- Badish: Black Magic

is there anytime you can't claybar? also isn't it up down left right motions and not circular? dont you just lube and kneed clay in order to eliminate any potential problems

You should only have to clay 1-2 times a year. You are correct on all other counts.

This is for sure covered in the stickies. Just use common sense really. Two buckets, Good wash mitt, 1-2 drying towels, various MFs, various products for all surfaces, Various brushes, ect.

This depends on you and your desired outcome. I have spent everywhere from 1hr to 3 days on details.

VERY subjective to your location and what you think you are worth. I have seen details go for over $3,000 and some go for $100.

looking back on what your detailing career what have you learned so far that you wish you knew when you started

That I would forever be poor.

i have a ton of other questions but i'll stop there, i really appreciate any feedback that's given

·
Registered
5,175 Posts

Menzerna, Chemical Guys, Mothers

GEt some MicroRestore microfiber detergent or Tide Free and Gentle

I never polish in the sun I alway polish in the garage with 1000 watt halogen lights to see the defects. I also never wax or apply a sealant in the sun only is the shade or when the sun is setting.

Improper washing techniques, go to the detail stickies and learn the proper way. 3BM with grit guards, quality microfibers, detail spray, blower, and soap

Use a blower to dry your car, use detail spray as a drying aid, wash from top to bottom rinsing each panel as you go. Use a foam gun or foam cannon to foam down your ride even before you start the wash. Wash in straight lines, apply sealants in straight lines, Use IPA before applying a wax or a sealant.

Adams, CG, Meguiars, Menzerna, Uber, Mothers, Carpro, Optimum, etc.

I would not use the clay right after you wax or seal, I know that sounds stupid and it is, but you would be surprised at what people do. clay in straight lines and use plenty of lube.

Check out the detailing stickies

depends on you and how detailed you want to go

depends on your market and depends on what is included in the service and depends on how good the detailer is

how to wash my car correctly.

I hope this helps

Reactions: SON1C

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the feedback, and zat to the questions you say are loaded, theyre really just your opinion/preference

also for waxing in one of the videos it says to apply it in straight lines, and should you use a mf to take the wax off after each section? once its hazed?

and for clay baring, should you use a mf to take the film off after each section? as opposed to doing the whole car then taking it off?

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
thanks for the feedback, and zat to the questions you say are loaded, theyre really just your opinion/preference

also for waxing in one of the videos it says to apply it in straight lines, and should you use a mf to take the wax off after each section? once its hazed?

and for clay baring, should you use a mf to take the film off after each section? as opposed to doing the whole car then taking it off?
You can wax in straight lines or in overlapping circles. I personally like to wax in small circles. I think you get more coverage.

Yes, you should use a MF to buff off a hazed section of wax.

With Claying, you use a lubricant. After you have used the clay on that section, use a MF to dry up/buff that area dry.

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can wax in straight lines or in overlapping circles. I personally like to wax in small circles. I think you get more coverage.

Yes, you should use a MF to buff off a hazed section of wax.

With Claying, you use a lubricant. After you have used the clay on that section, use a MF to dry up/buff that area dry.
but for waxing, how big of a section do you do before you go and buff off? how long does wax normally take to haze ive seen 5 minutes and i've seen 15? i also saw the "finger test" but I didn't really understand how to do it correctly

can you wax in circles and straight lines? or does it have to be one or the other?

and for claying i know you use a lube, but do you clay by section ex hood, and then once you finish the hood, you buff it and then move on, where as you wouldnt clay the whole car, and then buff the whole car?

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
for washing MF's, you use microfiber detergent correct? can i use this on 100% cotton terry towels?

do you wash pads?

when washing MF's do i need to separate MF's that i used for buffing off wax/clay/polish, from just ones that i dried with, is the only seperation normal exterior/wheels/really dirty?

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
but for waxing, how big of a section do you do before you go and buff off? how long does wax normally take to haze ive seen 5 minutes and i've seen 15? i also saw the "finger test" but I didn't really understand how to do it correctly

Like I said before, it depends on the wax. No wax is the same. Your simply going to have to read the directions on the wax and try it out. Theres no "rule of thumb" for curing of a wax. Some take 5mins and some take 30mins.

This finger test is simple, and useful. Simply swipe your finger on a section of wax that has been curing for awhile. IF the wax smears with your finger, it is NOT ready to buff. If your finger removed a perfect section, with no smear, it IS ready to buff. Just a quick swipe of your finger will do it.

can you wax in circles and straight lines? or does it have to be one or the other?

You can do either or on the same car of you wish.

and for claying i know you use a lube, but do you clay by section ex hood, and then once you finish the hood, you buff it and then move on, where as you wouldnt clay the whole car, and then buff the whole car?
You do it one body panel/section at a time.

for washing MF's, you use microfiber detergent correct? can i use this on 100% cotton terry towels?

It would work with terry towels, yes.

do you wash pads?

I have in the past, but I have find out to be unessecary. When done with a pad, for any amount of time, drop it in a bucket full of water. This way the polish never dries in the pad. When ready to clean, rinse the pad out with a strong stream of water. You can also clean them in the sink with a nail brush. Simple agitate the face of the pad with the brush and water. Some people like to use some type of cleaner as well while doing this. Something like diluted APC or Car soap.

when washing MF's do i need to separate MF's that i used for buffing off wax/clay/polish, from just ones that i dried with, is the only seperation normal exterior/wheels/really dirty?
This is a personal OCD thing really. I normally wash all MFs that touch the paint together, Wheel MFs by themselves, and any applicatiors by themselves. This gives me 3 loads to wash.

Reactions: SON1C

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You do it one body panel/section at a time.

This is a personal OCD thing really. I normally wash all MFs that touch the paint together, Wheel MFs by themselves, and any applicatiors by themselves. This gives me 3 loads to wash.
thanks zatrekaz

how to you recommend i fix my dull/faded/rusted wiper arms? like step by step process?

·
Administrator
76,434 Posts

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Or you could strip the rust off and paint them ;)

·
Administrator
76,434 Posts
1 - 20 of 74 Posts