Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a carfax account so they can run a vin number? I bought a car with 59000 miles and would like to find out if it really has that many miles.
Thanks

·
Registered
249 Posts
I bought a car with a perfectly clean carfax, only to find out that it's been wrecked on the front end. Being a database geek by day, I should've been smarter and known that the databases are only as good as the data going into it - so as long as someone has avoided transactions being written to the database, then it won't be in there. In my case, I'm guessing a prior owner crashed it, maybe drunk in the middle of the night or something, and had a friend come tow it before the cops showed up, then repaired it himself without going through insurance.

Case in point - the carfax is only as good as what was reported to the database, and make sure to use your brain too, unlike me! :-0

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
I have know idea how carfax would know true milage. For example, my gauge cluster broken and i put a different one in. I obviously recorded the milage of my old cluster and the used cluster, so that i know what the true milage on the car is

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Post a pic of the miles on the cluster, I should be able to tell u. Point camera as straight as possible

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow, the car has been sitting for 7 months so its a bit dirty under the hood but its mostly dust. Everything on the car works except fog lights but i haven't had time to check the bulbs. And i know the car hasn't been wrecked all the body lines and frame are in good shape,the main thing i wanted to see on the Carfax was recorded miles. The interior is really good but did get the stereo stolen.
Thanks

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow, the car has been sitting for 7 months so its a bit dirty under the hood but its mostly dust. Everything on the car works except fog lights but i haven't had time to check the bulbs. And i know the car hasn't been wrecked all the body lines and frame are in good shape,the main thing i wanted to see on the Carfax was recorded miles. The interior is really good but did get the stereo stolen.
Thanks
Thats a 159,000 mile car. Someone ho owns a 5x,xxx fox doesn't let it get dusty or have things stolen and not replaced.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It might be but I mainly bought the car because of how it looked. But the thing is whenever he bought the car it was in better condition, he didn't know much about them and didn't take care of it as much as he should. He got arrested and the car just sat at his dads house outside in the sun for 7 months that's how the radio got stolen. When he bought the car it had like 53k I'll take some pictures of the car as soon as I get home if it's not to dark.
Thanks

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
This is how i look at it.

To much info is better then not enough, but dont take the info you get as gospel.

Just because a carfax or what ever, says that its never been hit or has low milage doesnt mean its true. All that means is the negative info wasnt reported ( or accurate wasnt reported)

Many people repaire cars off the books, or do there own service work / oil changes / replace or upgrade there gauge cluster /fake milage reading ect...ect

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Lol wanna hear a good one?
My Carfax is so f***ed... My car title has been marked as "Warning:Odometer Discrepancy"
Because in 99 the car had 13,000 miles then was sold to the second owner and the agency or whoever instead marked it as 130,000 miles because of the tenths miles.
So my car in the matter of three months back in 1999 went 117,000 miles.
So I have a marked title because someone marked the mileage at 130,000
When in reality the odometers only go to 99,999 what a joke.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I have a friend who bought a white rx8 the back end was completely destroyed he bought another car chopped it in half someone welded them together and did amazing body work reprinted guess what? The car fax comes up low mileage clean title reason for this is some chick bought a brand new rx8 was driving it home one night after owning it for a week this guy who ones a very large bar and Resturant rear ends her drunk at about 60 she's ok and he paid her 35000 the next morning so he wouldn't get a dwi and loss everything

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
SO, i want back to read my carfax to make sure my statement was correct, i was wrong its even worse.. lmfao check it out..

In 12 days it supposedly went 100,016 Miles
someone didnt understand the Tenths of a mile..
:facepalm:

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Your car would have had to be driven 347.222222 miles per hour constantly for those 12 days to obtain that mileage. Wow.... you have a fast car, Pelley!

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
In the clubhouse a while back, i saw that this one guy checked his own car with car fax.

This is a summary of his story.

Hes parked in a parking lot, a few cars over, theres a car wreck..... ( i dont remember how it happened) from the wreck, his car got sprayed with glass. Im not sure any damage was done other then some scratches. When the police show up, they take his statement, some how after every thing is said and done... the carfax reports that his car was in an accident...

Thats BS right there

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It may not have 59k but i still think i got a good deal at 3500
I still haven't had any time to clean it but here are some pictures.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Nice car

1 - 20 of 25 Posts