Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody bought or installed a dash kit from CarID.com or similar?
Im looking to add the red/black carbon fiber to my 07 GT and im curious about post install pics, quality and if anybody has had any problems. Also dont know, but, my exterior is torch red and my interior is silver dash and tan leather....Sooo would red/black carbon fiber even look good w/ the tan leather?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
How are your rattlecan painting skills? If you don't feel like spending the money and you have the time/skills, you can take all those dash panels off to paint them...

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010/219269-05-09-dash-removal-writeup.html

Theres my write-up on the whole process...I used Krylon Fusion paint (Flat Black) and a Flat Clear Coat.

Figured I'd give you another option instead of buying a stick on kit...

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
^this is a great option. as far as the particular store i have no idea. just use google and search them for good or bad things. also check the bbb for their rating. personally i'd just go with painting it yourself.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
^this is a great option. as far as the particular store i have no idea. just use google and search them for good or bad things. also check the bbb for their rating. personally i'd just go with painting it yourself.
Yeah most stores you can find opinions on from google...google is your friend...haha

And only paint if you or someone you know is competent at it, its soo easy to **** up...I had 2 spots where the paint dripped and it took me about 20 mins of sanding and 3 coats to fix, and I'm relatively good at it, but it gives you that level of customization that a shop can't...good luck!

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
You can always wrap it in 3m vinyl. The silver didn't go with my theme so I wrapped my dash.

Messed up this one but redid it.

The entire front dash is done, as well as the center part where the radio and knobs are. Didn't take pics yet tho.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
You can always wrap it in 3m vinyl. The silver didn't go with my theme so I wrapped my dash.

Messed up this one but redid it.

The entire front dash is done, as well as the center part where the radio and knobs are. Didn't take pics yet tho.
Thats actually a damn good idea...did you take the dash out or leave it in to do it?

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
The stuff really only works on flat surfaces or large areas with gentle curves. Once you start heating it up to fit curves it will start distorting the pattern.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Thats actually a damn good idea...did you take the dash out or leave it in to do it?
Yea we tried doing it with it installed and it wasn't working, so we pulled out all the pieces except the pass airbag ones. Had to break off the tabs in the back so we could take off the bezels and have a flat surface.

Seebea, I want to see more pics.
It'll be awhile, cars in the shop so I won't be able to take any anytime soon.

The stuff really only works on flat surfaces or large areas with gentle curves. Once you start heating it up to fit curves it will start distorting the pattern.
Yea it gets tricky but if you make relief cuts around some of the curves and tuck it, it works. Too much heat and it will get ****ed. Not enough and you will have wrinkles in the curves. Takes patience but I think my dash came out great.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Seabee can't wait to see pics, I'm interested in how it came out...

·
KILLER
1,722 Posts
i got the brushed aluminum kit from CARid.. it completely sucked. i only ended up using 2 pieces of the 30 some that came in the kit. Its too think and doesnt bend where u need it too. its cut too small on the edges and DOESNT look at all factory. Its what i call an "auto zone" dress up kit. the only piece that fit well was the radio bezel one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts