Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a question. I am thinking about eliminating my CAT's...I know it is illegal here in Illinois...but whatever. I currently just have magnaflow axlebacks. I do not have an xpipe or any headers. What would be the best way to do it? I know BBK makes some CAT deletes for 130 bucks but it doesn't seem like people are talking real good about them. Muffler shops around here will not cut them off because they do not want to be liable for if you get caught, as they can get fined as well.

·
Fear The Rain... Butt...?
8,830 Posts
The BBK cat deletes leak pretty bad. I've installed a set before and I wasn't terribly impressed other than how much louder it made the car with them gone. I'd recommend getting a full off road midpipe, either X or H (whatever you prefer), and installing it yourself. You can find a used Lethal Performance O/R midpipe for around $200 and they're much higher quality with less places for exhaust leaks to occur from because it reduces the amount of joints in the exhaust system. You'll also get more horsepower out of a full midpipe as opposed to just cat deletes.

Regardless of which way you decide to go, you'll need a tuner and a tune because just running the car without catalytic convertors will throw a code.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a set of Jegs cat deletes on the way. I've heard the same about the BBKs leaking and I've read the Jegs don't. FWIW I do have a BBK x-pipe on my car and it does not leak.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a SCT programmer with lifetime tunes from bamatunes. What is better, x pipe or h pipe?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a SCT programmer with lifetime tunes from bamatunes. What is better, x pipe or h pipe?
Depends on the sound you want.....

X = smoother, higher pitched with a little rasp.
H = choppy, deep, more like an old muscle car.

Most info I've seen has the x making a TINY bit more power than an H. I went back and forth between both and I like the x better myself.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who makes a decent X pipe that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Also, I haven't looked under neath my car that far up....how does the cats come off? Are they held on by clamps like the mufflers are or what? I guess its something I could change out relatively easily?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Rainbow mentioned one of the cheaper ones out there. Lethal and BBR is another. I've got one of them(they look identical) that I'll be putting on my car this weekend.
Cats come off pretty easy if you have an impact, just a few bolts holding it up to the header and it's off. There are slip on clamps holding it the rest of the exhaust, but they are quick and easy to get off(some x pipes reuse the same slip bands from the stock h pipe). Shouldn't take more than 30 mins taking your time.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
freakin A! Any online stores you guys recommend?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Can always try and find a used(got mine for $150) on here or other mustang forums or buy straight from the links in my post above. Or could try americanMuscle.com, Stage3Motorsports.com, latemodelrestoration.com, and numerous other ones out there.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! Can I ask 1 more question? What is the difference between the full offroad x pipes and the shorty offroad x pipes?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys, so BBR does not have a stainless steel version. I live in Illinois, at the southern tip yes, but we still get quite a bit of snow from time to time, so I would rather have stainless...Lethal has a stainless steel version, for 339 free shipping. They gave me a promotion code to get it for 323, which is the same price as BBR's aluminized steel. I think I am going to pull the trigger and get the stainless one from lethal, unless anyone knows of a cheaper one.

I just currently have magnaflow axlebacks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts