Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will my 2004 gt run right if i take off the cats. will the check engin light come on or will i have to get a programer. i am wanting lt and an x pipe with out cats. will i have to get a programmer for this to work, or can this wait a little whille.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It will run just fine without cats. Your check engine light will come on. All You will need is a programmer or a set of mil eliminators to turn off the check engine light.

·
Registered
600 Posts
you can get off road h and x's from summit for pretty cheap so you can bolt them in yourself and not have a lot of shop fees for welding

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Exhaust mods help, but they offer more improvments when there are other supporting mods to the engine...Usually people purchase exhuast mods for the sound.. The big restriction in the exhuast is the mufflers though...not so much the cats..:)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Removing the Cats causes the check engin lights to come on. Have heard this causes the engin to run lean because it thinks the cats are broke thus killing your gas mileage. But most tuners will eliminate that, or get the mil eliminators, also shuts off the check engin light.

Tony

·
Registered
189 Posts
Removing the Cats causes the check engin lights to come on. Have heard this causes the engin to run lean because it thinks the cats are broke thus killing your gas mileage. But most tuners will eliminate that, or get the mil eliminators, also shuts off the check engin light.

Tony
i've heard the same thing, don't know if its true or not. i cut my cats off, i don't know how much HP i got from doing so but i'm sure it was some. alot more sound with no cats too. and i turned the back O2 sensors off with my sct tuner.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
Get the mid pipe! They are cheap, they are 2 1/2" Mandrel bent, and they weigh less. Mid pipe swap will take alot less time than cutting out or gutting out the cats then putting it back in or cutting some pipe to fit in there then welding em up.... yada yada yada. Hell get on Ebay, probably get one there pretty cheap too.

·
Registered
339 Posts
if you are in a state where they have heavy emissions i would go with the catted xpipe.
if it is anything like texas they will bust your ass and it is a HEAVY fine.
it is also a PITA to change out your xpipe everytime you need an inspection sticker.
If your state has no emissions then disregard.

·
Registered
303 Posts
get some mil eliminators and some o2 extensions. im gettin ready to do lt's and a xpipe.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Dont know about PITA swaping x/h pipe. I got the highflow catted x right now(waiting to be installed, stupid headers). I am debating on picking up a cheep pair of offroad X's to throw on there when not doing inspections. Its only 8 bolts, shouldnt take more then 30mins thats including carring the darn pipes to the car, putting it up on jacks and swaping.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts