Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally found someone to cut my y-pipe and put an h-pipe in place, cut my cats, and put 2 flow master 40s on. Is this going to be ridiculously loud? I'm nervous about getting the cats cut but everybody keeps telling me they restrict so much air flow. Thoughts?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Are you removing all 4 or just the rear 2? My car is fairly loud with all 4 cats on. Your car is going to be louder with 2 or all of the cats removed, but there are plenty of people on here who run o/r midpipes.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Are you removing all 4 or just the rear 2? My car is fairly loud with all 4 cats on. Your car is going to be louder with 2 or all of the cats removed, but there are plenty of people on here who run o/r midpipes.
:yes

·
MOAR BOOST
9,163 Posts
Removing all four is definitely loud.
btw, idk if I would recommend a mac o/r h. I've been struggling with a leak at the manifold to h pipe flange all day, it doesn't seem to seal with the stock header manifold.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Loud like ricer loud? That's what I'm trying to avoid.
our cars are V6s not V8s. there is some rasp in the upper rpm range like 3k+ only way around it is stay low on the rpms. i have the deepest setup possible minus prochamber or enigine work and there is still rasp. if u dont want to sound like a ricer DD ur car and save ur money to buy a gt.

Removing all four is definitely loud.
btw, idk if I would recommend a mac o/r h. I've been struggling with a leak at the manifold to h pipe flange all day, it doesn't seem to seal with the stock header manifold.
im having the same problem wit mine tho i have a diff hpipe than u. i have a small leak on the pass side where the long tubes bolt to h-pipe. can only hear it under acceleration. i emailed mac to see what they will say. im sure i can fix it on my own tho.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I removed all mine w mac lts and the shorty h pipe with 40s dumped and it wasnt that loud I dont think at all I never had a problem like talking to people while it was running at all

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man, I'm getting pressured to cut off all my cats. People are saying it will release so much restricted flow. I dunno. Still all new to this.

·
Registered
631 Posts
removing all four is loud. and is totally worth it :D
:rockon OP-its only loud if you drive around like a pissed off teenager!!! Otherwise drive with some sense, stay outta the gas, and cruise with the rumble.

·
Registered
398 Posts
<-------is 26 :D 1.5k rpms rolling thru a parking lot sounds like a gt. but thats really the only time. whenever u go to pass somebody u will hear rasp. and there is a difference in loud and deep. divorced duals are alot louder with or without cats. an H or X pipe it knock some of the noise down. friend had divorced 50 series flows and no cats and it is alot louder than mine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
taken cats of will most likely end up having check engine light come on. Did a lot of work with muffler shop and they don't recommend cutting them off for one if your state does inspection or emissions you wont pass.

On side note you can cut just the back 2 off without any problems.

Then again all Mustangs I have owned were 88s and 89s and i always cut the cats off but then again the computers were basic in those cars!

Now I have a 97 Conv basically stole it from kid $750! Took tune up and radiator flush and runs like champ does need new top but thats only $200 and a day of my time

·
Registered
398 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have a tuner. Could I use it to eliminate the check engine light?
yes they can be turned off by a tune. but if u have emissions testing by plugging in the computer u will fail because the rear o2s wont be reading anything

·
MOAR BOOST
9,163 Posts
our cars are V6s not V8s. there is some rasp in the upper rpm range like 3k+ only way around it is stay low on the rpms. i have the deepest setup possible minus prochamber or enigine work and there is still rasp. if u dont want to sound like a ricer DD ur car and save ur money to buy a gt.

im having the same problem wit mine tho i have a diff hpipe than u. i have a small leak on the pass side where the long tubes bolt to h-pipe. can only hear it under acceleration. i emailed mac to see what they will say. im sure i can fix it on my own tho.
My pipe fits like ****. Leaks on both sides.

Anyone have a vid of what just two cats taken out sounds like? I'm considering ditching my mac pipe, cutting the rear two out of my stock pipe, and throwing that back on. It shouldn't throw a code without the rear 2 cats, the rear o2s are before them.

I love the sound of my o/r h, but with the huge leak its definitely not worth it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts